Pin chuck questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewishman

I am trying to use a pin chuck and my pen blank is not locked into place, it spins around despite the pin being in place. Let me explain it in another way: when I put my blank (with tube glued in and barrel trimmed) on the pin chuck, with the pin inserted in the slot, I can rotate the blank all the way around the chuck - it doesn't lock in place.

Is it supposed to lock when the blank is spinning at 1800 rpm? It does stay still enough to turn some of the blank away, even when I removed the tail stock.

Next question: How do I turn the end grain at the back of the blank? I have only turned pens, this is probably a simple question to bowl turners.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Ideally, the blank should "lock" in place on the pin chuck, but you should have enough tension between the bushing and tailstock to turn it without difficulty. I turn end grain with a skew and use it just I would a parting tool. Once you part off what you don't need, you can shape it however you want. Just make sure your skew is very sharp.

Randy_

Hard to know exactly what is going on...there are a number of possibilities, including a defective chuck; but, the blank should lock on to the pin chuck You might want to check with the person who sold you the chuck.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Try cleaning the flat surface and the pin. A small bit of sawdust or dirt may stop the pin from rolling and locking.[;)]

Darley

Look to me you done yourself the pin chuck if not like Randy say send the chuck back to the manufacturer, if you do yourself the chuck should be of the diameter of the ID tube the grove cut in the chuck should be the diameter of the pin no less it take few trial with the pen tube to get the right depth to house the pin when you do trial don't force the tube to slide on the pin chuck when done do a 1/4 turn and it should lock in, I start mine with an angle grinder then finish with a file making sure that my 2 edges are square

KenV

I make my own now and usually the pin is too small diameter or too long to move freely in the recess when they do not lock. Most of my pins are cut from music wire and I trim/file and polish the ends to assure they move freely.

The real challenge is when one does not want to come free after turning......

thewishman

I tried using the chuck and it seems to have enough grip to turn the blank. I made a Jr. Gent v. II with African blackwood - I am thrilled! I felt like I was entering a whole new realm of possibilities.

Will keep my eyes open for a replacement pin just a bit larger than the current one. Thanks for the help!

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom