Pin Chuck question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I intend to make a pin chuck a la Don Ward's article "The Pentel Pencil Revisited". The one thing not covered in that article and others is whether the finished pin chuck should be heat treated (hardened) or not. Since the drill rod stock comes annealed, I wondered if it is hard enough to use as is.

Do you folk who have made pin chucks heat treat the chuck and/or the pin?
If so, do you temper them afterwards?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would say it doesn't need to be heat treated. If your putting it under enough stress that it needs to be, your doing somthing wrong. Pin chucks can be made from wood too, although one for a pen might be a little fragile since it would be so small in diameter.

its_virgil

I've made several pin chucks using drill rod(both air and oil hardened) and also using actual mandrels (for 7mm tubes) and I have not done any kind of heat treatment to the finished pin chuck. I have not had any issues with any that I have made. Good luck...it will work.

BTW, the last few I've made I used a dead center and live center and it is working fine. When I wrote the pentel article I could not get this method to work for me...but I suppose my turning skills have improved over the years. Take a look.
200841211023_ready%20to%20turn.jpg

Do a good turn daily!

Originally posted by rincewind03060

I intend to make a pin chuck a la Don Ward's article "The Pentel Pencil Revisited". The one thing not covered in that article and others is whether the finished pin chuck should be heat treated (hardened) or not. Since the drill rod stock comes annealed, I wondered if it is hard enough to use as is.

Do you folk who have made pin chucks heat treat the chuck and/or the pin?
If so, do you temper them afterwards?

Thanks

its_virgil

After I get the process patented I'll sell you the instructions but until then my lips are sealed.:D:D[:p][:p];)

Do a good turn daily!]
Don
Originally posted by leehljp

Don,
Could you teach me how to turn a block so that it is square as you pictured above? I could eliminate my table saw! :D

its_virgil

You may have passed me. Your picture of the pentel pin chuck looks better than what I came up with. I had no chuck when I did my first one so I turned a morse taper with the chuck much the same as you have done.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by ldb2000

Rectangular pen blanks....what will you guys think of next....I'm never gonna catch up to you guys (and gals)[}:)][}:)][}:)]

Top Bottom