Pin Cherry Challenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spnemo

Pin Cherry is one of my favorite woods to turn. It is a dense wood that rarely chips or breaks when turning. It shines up nicely and looks great with a CA finish. Best of all, I have a ton of it!

A couple of years ago I had to cut down a medium sized tree in my back yard. Now I have about 100 pre cut pen blanks and a pile of pin cherry chunks (limbs and small diameter trunk).

I would like to share the joy of turning this wood by sponsoring a contest! However, I have never done anything like this so, I need some suggestions on the rules for the contest. I think it would be fun to have a bunch of pens all turned from the same tree. I provide the wood and you pay the shipping.

Right now most of my blanks are 3/4" square by 5 1/2" long. I have some shorter and I could make custom sized blanks.

What do you think? Are you interested or is it a dumb idea? If interested, what rules would make it fair?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bensoelberg

I'm interested. Perhaps you could sponsor a Pin Cherry Pith. All participants would use the same wood, but try to customize it in some unique way, then trade pens with someone else.

hebertjo

Can you post some pictures of this wood and/or finished pens? I do not know what it looks like??? Any interesting figure? Color?

I would be interested in joining in.

olsonrdh2

sounds great

born and raised in Monroe MI I know of the tree but at that time we were building bird houses with my dad from pine we bought from Builders Square. Sounds like a lot of fun, I too enjoy working with cherry.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Pass it by Mike Broberg if you decide to have a go at it. It falls under his jurisdiction.

spnemo

According to Mike Broberg, I will have to wait until after February to do a contest or PITH. So, once I have the rules and get his Mike's okay, we can get started!

I only have one pin cherry pen left (the rest all sold before I could get pictures). I will try one or two more and take some pictures before the contest.

1080Wayne

Sean

I`ll put my pincherry up against yours any day ! You say a hard, dense wood . That sounds more like chokecherry to me . My pincherry would tend to be a bit softer than black cherry whereas chokecherry is harder , more like Saskatoon , if you are familiar with that . But your growing conditions are much different than mine , and that will make some difference . Will see what I can do about making some pens showing the diversity of the wood .

What I really like about both pincherry and chokecherry is the occasional piece with a maraschino smell .

Wayne

spnemo

Sean

I`ll put my pincherry up against yours any day ! You say a hard, dense wood . That sounds more like chokecherry to me . My pincherry would tend to be a bit softer than black cherry whereas chokecherry is harder , more like Saskatoon , if you are familiar with that . But your growing conditions are much different than mine , and that will make some difference . Will see what I can do about making some pens showing the diversity of the wood .

What I really like about both pincherry and chokecherry is the occasional piece with a maraschino smell .

Wayne

Around here Pin Cherry and Choke Cherry are the same thing but it is most often referred to as Pin Cherry. It is a very large tree (30 to 40 feet tall) with very small bitter fruit. It grows wild in this area. I have looked at guides to identifying trees in Michigan. according to the guides, a pin cherry and choke cherry are very small trees or shrubs and a black cherry has fruit that turns deep purple. These descriptions do not fit my trees. The locals call them wild Pin Cherry, so that I what I am calling them.

Last edited:

1080Wayne

Sean

Wayne

Around here Pin Cherry and Choke Cherry are the same thing but it is most often referred to as Pin Cherry. It is a very large tree (30 to 40 feet tall) with very small bitter fruit. It grows wild in this area. I have looked at guides to identifying trees in Michigan. according to the guides, a pin cherry and choke cherry are very small trees or shrubs and a black cherry has fruit that turns deep purple. These descriptions do not fit my trees. The locals call them wild Pin Cherry, so that I what I am calling them.

Sean

The tree height could be either in your area , with pincherry at the high end and chokecherry the low . Pincherry tends to a fairly straight trunk , chokecherry inclined , crooked and twisted . Apart from the cherry (sour , bright red for pincherry in open clusters of 4-7 ; very astringent but sweet , yellow to crimson to purplish black for chokecherry in a dense elongated cluster of 8-12 fruits ) , the bark is the easiest way to distinguish them . Pincherry bark has very conspicuous horizontal , orange lenticels which can be over an inch long , and the mature bark fairly easily separates into layers , almost like paper birch . Chokecherry bark is darker , much tighter held , with no horizontal extension of the lenticels .

Excellent pictures and full descriptions in `Trees of the Northern U S and Canada` by John Laird Farrar , available from Amazon or elsewhere .

Wayne

spnemo

Wayne,

It sounds like chokecherry is a better fit for what we have. As I said, the locals around here (mills included) call it pin cherry or choke cherry. I guess we don't really have a true pin cherry in this area. I think my height estimate was a little low. I got 30 feet of good trunk out of the one I cut down. The total height of the tree was probably closer to 50 feet. I have one on my property with a large burl right at ground level. I am trying to resist the urge to cut it out.

Thanks for the clarification.
Sean

Top Bottom