Pimp Crystals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

So I see a few people here use the Majestic pen kits from PSI and they change the so called "PIMP CRYSTAL" out for other colored stones. My question is has anyone come up with an easy way of doing this without scratching the finish on the pen part???

Also what size stone have you found to be a good replacement and where are you getting such stones??? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

Jonathon uses the point of a brad point bit to break it in the center. Then I use a set of calipers to measure the inside of the opening.

PenMan1

Next thing you know, PSI will be offering a "pimp stone removal tool/jig", pimp stone mandrel, and pimp stone sized blanks. :)

For me, I use a dremel and wire size bit. Drill through the crystal and pop it out with a dental pick.

Last edited:

LouCee

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been wanting to try this but haven't because I thought I would mess up the finish removing the crystal. I just might give it a shot now.

Brooks803

Jonathon uses the point of a brad point bit to break it in the center. Then I use a set of calipers to measure the inside of the opening.

Thanks Hans. Yup, I just use the brand point of an old 7mm bit and use my drill press (TURNED OFF) to apply even pressure till it breaks. Then use a dental pick to carefully scrape out the remains and glue. I also turn my own replacement stones. Like Hans mentioned you can always measure and try to buy a replacement from a supplier. I like turning my own since I can choose whatever I want to make it out of....like this:

jttheclockman

Thanks everyone. I never thought about trying to drill it out. I have some of these kits on order so I will want to change that plain color crystal.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I heated mine over a bic lighter. I imagine an electric iron would also heat it enough to destroy the glue without discoloring the clip. THe top of the clip had no ill effect from the lighter but the bottom of the clip was slightly darker. The sides appear to be un touched.

Brooks803

Outragously nice pens, Brooks. Is the black one on the left ebony or blackwood (or PR)?

Thanks
Steve

Thanks Steve! The black one is actually ebonite with alabaster clip & finial inlays.

How are you guys turning the replacements?

I use my barracuda chuck with (I think) the pin jaws and just turn it to size. I did a demo on it last month for my pen club. A good trick to making the clip inlay is to NOT part it off flat but instead put a taper on the back end so it sits inside the clip like a real jewel. If it's flat it has a tendancy to flip over when you try to glue it in. DAMHIK :redface:

Lenny

Next thing you know, PSI will be offering a "pimp stone removal tool/jig", pimp stone mandrel, and pimp stone sized blanks. :)

I laughed so hard when I read that one that I woke my wife up! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hate to tell you, but she called PSI and ordered one for you.
Merry Christmas Lenny!

THAT'S NOT FUNNY!!! too close to the truth :laugh::biggrin:

Although one year I asked for a Lee Valley gift certificate and instead got one for Lie Nielsen Toolworks! :wink:

Lenny

Although one year I asked for a Lee Valley gift certificate and instead got one for Lie Nielsen Toolworks! :wink:

OOps .. The hearing is going, huh?
I remember one year I thought I ordered an album off the TV for the
Longines Symphonette. What I got was a copy of "Ringo" and 17 previously
unreleased Alpo commercials. Turns out it was the Lorne Green Symphonette..

oops..

No doubt a collectors item!!! :biggrin:
How many can there be out there! :)

Top Bottom