Pimp Crystals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Ok I want to change a pimp crystal in a Majestic kit. I have read Johnathans tutorial about crushing on a drill press but am hesitant to try this for fear of scratching the clip. So I will pose the question out there, for those that have used kits that have the crystals in the clips, have you changed to something different and if so what method did you use and were you successful?? Another method I heard of is soaking in acetone but again afraid of damaging the plating. I tried prying out with a knife but that glue they use is strong and no success. Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Acetone will remove paint but should not effect platings. Someone posted this week soaking the Deco clip in acetone to remove the crystal.

I've crushed one using a steel punch and a used dental pick to remove the pieces. Used acetone to clean out the glue. I'm thinking I should have just soaked it to start with.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

tdsmart

I used Jonathan's method and it worked just fine. I replaced it with a piece of wood to match the body, HRB, if I recall.

jttheclockman

Not quite sure my hand is steady enough for dremel tool surgery or crushing these. I may just try acetone and see what happens. If I ruin a clip so be it. Thanks everyone. :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, how about a heat gun to release the glue?
Can you get to the back of the stone? Maybe press it out with your drill press and the clip stone over a small hole in a piece of mdf or something?

jttheclockman

John, how about a heat gun to release the glue?
Can you get to the back of the stone? Maybe press it out with your drill press and the clip stone over a small hole in a piece of mdf or something?

Yes maybe will try heat first if I do not discolor plating.

jttheclockman

It's been a while but I did one in the past prying it off with the corner tip of a razor blade. Good luck!

I like the GOOD LUCK part at the end John:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I will first try the prying, then heat, then acetone. Then dynamite:eek::eek:

jttheclockman

Newbie here! What's a pimp crystal?

The crystal in the clips of some pen kits, such as the Majestic line.

Yes there are a few kits out there that have swarovski crystals in them for decoration and at times it is nice to change them out to match the blank better because you are limited on what they sell. They have become known as pimp crystals because they pimp up the ride. :):):)

More4dan

Attachments

• IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    197 KB · Views: 216

1shootist

New here myself . I thought surely I was alone in wanting to remove the "pimp crystal" (could not be referred to as anything better lol" and I was a bit hesitant about asking how to for concern that I was destroying something sacred. I really like the looks and feel of the majestic squire ..the pimp crystal is just a bit much for a few friends I am wanting to give them to.

jttheclockman

New here myself . I thought surely I was alone in wanting to remove the "pimp crystal" (could not be referred to as anything better lol" and I was a bit hesitant about asking how to for concern that I was destroying something sacred. I really like the looks and feel of the majestic squire ..the pimp crystal is just a bit much for a few friends I am wanting to give them to.

This has been talked about for years here. Some people do special thing with them and I was looking for any new ideas on how to remove. Good luck with yours.:):)

jttheclockman

Well I tried acetone and heat to the back of the clip and neither method loosened up that crystal. Boy I hate to have to try to break it out. Any other suggestions??

jttheclockman

Leave it ! :eek: :rolleyes: :tongue:

I just may do that. It is not too bad looking. May have to work on this with a cheaper kit like the sierra style one.

Come on JT. Just go to Harbor Freight and get a bigger hammer.:biggrin:

I have a sledge hammer but i am afraid I may miss and hit something that is not suppose to be hit mainly me.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::doctor:

jttheclockman

Turns out heat is the answer. I was using a hair dryer and that did not get hot enough so went to the heat gun and on high heat for about 30 seconds it popped right out. Now not sure what I want to do:):):) turn one or use a made stone. May try turning one to start with and see how it looks.

Top Bottom