Pimp Crystals???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I am looking to change the clear pimp crystals in the Jr Majestic kit. My question is for those that have done this, what size is this crystal??? What style do I need to get, flat back or something else??? Is the Majestic and Jr majestic the same size???

What is the easiest way to get them out.??? I remember someone saying at one time heat will loosen them up. What is the best way to glue one back in?? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

IIRC, the Jr. has a 4mm stone. Removal is simply a heat gun (wifes blow drier) and install with a dab of epoxy. The hole is almost as deep as it is around.

RichF

John,

I used a 3.2 mm chaton cut crystal for the one Jr Majestic that I modified. I started with a flat back, but decided the chaton cut looked much better. Tim already hit the right answer on the heat and epoxy.

Rich

BSea

I bought some crystals from Michaels. They have them in all kinds of colors & sizes. To get it out, all I do is take the point of a knife & press in on the edge of the crystal where it meets the metal of the clip at about a 45 degree angle. They pop right out. I've never scratched a clip yet doing it this way. But I've only done 3 or 4.

Another thing you can do is turn a piece of the blank to replace the crystal. That's a bit of a challenge, but it does give it a truly custom look.

gbpens

Once you have removed the "crystal" take it to your favorite bead store along with your digital caliper. They will have all sorts of replacements including crystals, glass beads and natural stone. They can also suggest the appropriate adhesive for the material you purchase.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
John, John, John...:rolleyes: I would have thought that an artiste of your calibre would have solved this little problem by now.:eek::confused:

No risky heat or sharp blades or dangerously dodgey glueing required...
A good sharp smack with a 4 pounder to get it out and the exact same process to get another one back in again. :wink:

Gee, do I have to tell you everything?????:tongue:

Removing this crystal will leave you wide open to add say a birth stone or some other semiprecious stone. It would drive up the price of the pen but it also sets your pen apart from all of the others out there and after all that is what it is all about. Take a hardware set and add something to it that most others don't do.

BSea

John, John, John...:rolleyes: I would have thought that an artiste of your calibre would have solved this little problem by now.:eek::confused:

A good sharp smack with a 4 pounder to get it out and the exact same process to get another one back in again. :wink:

You forgot to mention it's best to wait till the pen is fully assembled before this minor step.:biggrin:

jttheclockman

So Skip you say it is best to use my trusty finishing hammer to get these out. I have to go look for that. I know where its brother the 20 pounder is. Maybe I will use that one instead.:)

You forgot to mention it's best to wait till the pen is fully assembled before this minor step.:biggrin:

I am taking notes here. 4 pound hammer. Check. Turn and assemble pen. Check. Place pen in vise and squeeze. Check. Take hammer and gently tap the cap. Check. Stone should fall right out. Check. Look for stone. Check. measure stone and replace using same finishing hammer. Check. Got it should have this done soon. Thanks guys.:eek:

I use Brook's technique to remove and replace the ones I've done.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/majestic-clip-inlay-replacement-98581/#post1411828
Mike

The thing I got out of that tutorial which is well done is the thing about making my own. I will definetly try heat first. Me and drilling that stone out spells disaster. I might as well revert to Skips method. All I am looking to do is change it to a black stone. If I can pull this blank off I think the black stone would look better. The blank is cooking now so it will be a couple more days before I try spinning it. Will see.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Especially you Skip.:)

stonepecker

Be very carefull about the birth stones........April's IS a diamond.
(I know this because the wife was born in April)

God, that woman keeps me broke.
LOL

kooster

Can someone clarify please . . . Is a Swarovski crystal a better/higher quality than your average Michael's brand glass bead type? Seems like having the S crystal is one of the main features that elevates the category of the pen itself. As such, replacing it with a piece of Michael's (glass) would depreciate the value of the pen somewhat. Not sure if the S crystal comes in colors or if there are other genuine crystals available that would be of the correct size. That diamond and/or other precious stones sounds like a great idea.

Top Bottom