Pilot Shafts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dapperpens

I have been using a Whiteside barrel trimmer with a 27/64" on my Liberty pen kits and I love the results and ease of use. I've been wanting to use pilot shafts on my Desire pen kits but I haven't been able to find a 1/2". The closest I've been able to find is 12.5mm which is only .2mm smaller but I've found, in making pens, that good is in the details.

Would it be advisable to use a 12.5mm pilot shaft? Does anyone know how I can find a 1/2" if not?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I have been using a Whiteside barrel trimmer with a 27/64" on my Liberty pen kits and I love the results and ease of use. I've been wanting to use pilot shafts on my Desire pen kits but I haven't been able to find a 1/2". The closest I've been able to find is 12.5mm which is only .2mm smaller but I've found, in making pens, that good is in the details.

Would it be advisable to use a 12.5mm pilot shaft? Does anyone know how I can find a 1/2" if not?
As I understand it, the Desire requires a 1/2 inch bit to drill the blank. The interior size of the tube, therefore, will be significantly smaller than 1/2 inch. There is simply no way that a 1/2" mill shaft would be able to fit into a tube that was glued into a 1/2" hole.

Have you actually tried the 12.5mm shaft in the Desire's tube?

jjjaworski

I make pilot sleeves as I need them for the oddball kits or the one of kit I don't have a pilot shaft for.

It is good experience and once you make a couple it is not a big deal knowing how it is done for a future project.

wouldentu2?

I just make sleeves as needed to fit my endmill which has a7mm shaft,not sure what size the cutting end is but probably more than 1/2 inch.

Top Bottom