Pilot shaft size

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

For a Jr Statesman I can find a pilot shaft for the 27/64" tube but nothing for the 12.5mm cap tube. I am pretty bad about getting CA in the tube. Any suggestions on what to use? I even looked for a 31/64"

Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LEAP

Mike If I understand your question you are looking for the shaft that fits inside the tubes to guide the end mill. The common answer to that is to take a 7mm tube and glue a blank to it then turn it to the ID of the tube. Slide that over your 7mm shaft and mill the blank. To clean out the glue I have been using rifle cleaning brushes chucked in a hand drill. If your not doing it already, you might want to try plugging one end of the tube with wax or plummers putty to keep the glue from getting in the tube when you insert it.

Originally posted by LEAP
<br />Mike If I understand your question you are looking for the shaft that fits inside the tubes to guide the end mill. The common answer to that is to take a 7mm tube and glue a blank to it then turn it to the ID of the tube. Slide that over your 7mm shaft and mill the blank. To clean out the glue I have been using rifle cleaning brushes chucked in a hand drill. If your not doing it already, you might want to try plugging one end of the tube with wax or plummers putty to keep the glue from getting in the tube when you insert it.

If you decide to make a guide I suggest that you do NOT use wood to do so. I made several wood inserts for my various pen types. One day I happened to hold the tube up to the light and discovered an air gap between the insert and the tube. [:0] I knew that I had made this insert to between .001-.002 tolerence. Two days later I slipped the same insert back into the same tube and the air gap was not there. [:0] [:0] What was the difference? It had not rained for a few weeks when I first discovered the air gap. It had rained the day before I checked it a second time.

The moral of this story is that wood expands and contracts. I am in the process of re-making all my shims out of delrin or acrylic. [:(]

IPD_Mrs

OK so what is the best thing to plug the tubes with that the CA won't stick to? I also want to be able to punch it back out fairly easily.

Mike

Sylvanite

Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />I am in the process of re-making all my shims out of delrin or acrylic.
I once tried making collets out of delrin. The first time they slipped, the friction heat melted the delrin and made a terrible mess. I wouldn't trust delrin to hold up in a pen mill bushing, but I hope you have better luck.

Originally posted by Sylvanite
<br />
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel
<br />I am in the process of re-making all my shims out of delrin or acrylic.
I once tried making collets out of delrin. The first time they slipped, the friction heat melted the delrin and made a terrible mess. I wouldn't trust delrin to hold up in a pen mill bushing, but I hope you have better luck.

I wonder how corian would hold up?

Originally posted by MLKWoodWorking
<br />OK so what is the best thing to plug the tubes with that the CA won't stick to? I also want to be able to punch it back out fairly easily.

Mike

Try wax. Many buy it from Bill @ Arizona Silhouette http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/ Others melt candle wax onto a sheet. Some simply scrape the wax off the candle and compact it in the end to create a plug.

Others have suggested plumbers putty.

jimbo5576

I made a complete set out of Delrin also known as aceytal, been using them for a couple of years now with now problems. Your mileage may vary. Check for it with a local supplier. I paid almost $6 plus shippig for a 1 ft piece off Ebay. Bought a 6 ft piece 5/8" diameter for $14. It turns easily can be use to make busings to prevent CA from sticking to your metal bussings. I even made a turing guide busing for a special pen out of it. I really like the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom