Pikklerable Jars

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefish

If I am not mistaken, the logic behind using paint cans instead of glass jars was because of the added safety factor.

From what I have read on this site, many people have gone to this method for that exact reason. I don't understand the reasoning behind the poll of who uses pikkle jars and who uses pipe. Well, after thinking about it, I believe I do understand the reasoning behind the poll.

The original thread was about the top of Don's container imploding.

The sole purpose of what I worte was to make suggestions on how a vacuum chamber could be made stronger. Nothing more. Nothing less.

For those who didn't understand my original post, please do not read any further. It will only cause you to become more confused.

I am not going to write to my congressmen asking him to introduce legislation to ban pickle jars. I also am not going to write to my congressman urging him to replace pickle jars with steel pipe. Well, maybe not threaded steel pipe. How about welded up steel pipe?

I am not going to write to my congressman suggesting that he introduce legislation banning anyone from using a pikkle jar as a vacuum chamber.

Hopefully, the welding will make some of the anti-threading contributers happy.

I was not going to comment any more on this subject, but some of the comments made on the other thread were totally unrelated to what I was trying to contribute, and completely opposite of what I wrote.

Not mentioneing any names, but one example is that the pressure is on the inside of a champagne bottle. I knew that. That is why I described the pressure as being against the top of the dome, and the dome being convex from the inside and concave from the outside.

In some ways, this forum is like a lot of others that I joined and then abandoned:

Some people read the lines.

Some people read between the lines.

Others don't read the lines at all.

This will probably get me banned from this site, but there were a few things written that I decided not to let slide. And those things were comments on stuff that were the exact opposite of what I meant and what I was trying to suggest.

Anymore comments anyone wants to make to me, please use e-mail. This forum is not the place for flare ups. No forum is, and I apoligize that I let this little bit of insignificiant aggravation get to me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

If <b>I</b> haven’t been banned yet, I'd say you're still really safe.

I didn’t read the post yet, but I can tell you this. Forums are the last bastion for keyboard quarterbacks. You just have to try to go with the flow. Occasionally, you can’t and that's to be expected. A person can only tolerate so much.

Don’t let it get to you.

Dario

We all share and try to pass good info if we can. Don't let those who don't want to listen get to you. You did your job, it is up to them to sort good from bad info now. It really can get confusing though.

In the same token, try to hear them out too, maybe you have something to learn from them as well.

We all want to be safe and I for one am not that safe...but I am not foolish either. Most of the time common sense works...but agreably, there are times when it fails us.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />
Not mentioneing any names, but one example is that the pressure is on the inside of a champagne bottle. I knew that. That is why I described the pressure as being against the top of the dome, and the dome being convex from the inside and concave from the outside.

Okay,

Since you don’t want to mention names I will. It was me.

No I will not keep this in private email because you are comparing apples to oranges and your misinformation should be publicly dispelled.

My point was very simple genius, you were referring to a vessel under pressure in a thread about vacuum so where is your relevance to the subject? (I tried to be subtle in the other thread.)

Oh yea, you forgot the weakest point of a champaign bottle……..It’s called the cork.
And if you really look closely at a champaign bottle you will see the bottom is both convex and concave. I once read somewhere that the champaign bottle was made that way to differentiate it from a wine bottle. I would really think that the cork or sometimes plastic top or even the screw top in really cheap champaign would fail before the glass does.

However I am not an engineer so I can only speak from personal experience.

Why does an air compressor have convex ends? By rights since it is s pressure vessel it should have concave ends, no? Why is it that those fiberglass tanks for well systems can take up to 40 pounds of pressure but if you draw a vacuum on it, it will implode on itself?

In summation, I think YOU are mistaken as all the threads I have ever seen that talk about the paint can pressure pots are for pressure casting.

Don is the first person that I ever heard of that was using the pressure pot under a vacuum.

Lastly, I think you should read the post by Professor Paul……….Especially this part:

5) There is little potential for damage/danger for objects outside of the vessel. The material goes inward and strikes the contents or material coming from the other direction. Very rarely will a piece go through this haelstrom without being stopped.

I stated numerous times that if you do not feel comfortable then do not do it. There in no reason to damn the practice that has worked for thousands of people for many years.

BTW: many lab grade vacuum vessels are made of glass.

Please feel free to show me specifically where I am incorrect and I will acknowledge that I am incorrect. I will ask you to do the same.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
FWIW
The "Dimple" in the bottom of a champagne bottle is called a punt.
There is also a punt on the bottom af a cognac bottle.
Why you ask?
Because Cognac is made from champagne in the champagne region of France.
(I used to REALLY enjoy my cognac.)
Cognac is a brandy but not all bandies are cognacs.
Since you opened the door
Getting back to the subject at hand.
Ask anyone who uses a glass jar with the pickle lid or a vessel with a flat top out of any material you wish to name.
Once the suction is pulled the "lid: stays in place because of the vacuum.
If Threads or welds are used it would be difficult if not impossible to open the chamber without spilling the liquid that you are using to stabilize with.
That was the give away that I knew you had never used your suggestion or even did any stabilizing at all.
Most if not all of us "home stabilizers keep our "Solution" in a vessel and put THAT into the vessel that is used to hold the vacuum.
This is precisely why I Suggested you try your method and report your results.
I am only replying because someone who has not tried this may think your suggestion is a good idea and decide to make the mistake of taking your ill informed advice.
I wanted to save THOSE people the aggravation.
As far as you Mr Bonefish are concerned I ENCOURAGE you to use your own suggestions, you deserve the results you get and I wish you luck.
Neither good nor bad, just luck.

Mudder-
Why did you have to tell him the pressure pot was inteded originally for PRESSURE CASTING?
I can only imagine what ideas he will have on THAT subject.

smoky10

I'll give you my reason why I don't use a metal container for vacuum stabilizing and it has nothing to do with safety. When using vacuum to stabilize you need to see whats going on in the chamber. If you're using ace/plexi you can boil the liquid out of the chamber in no time. If you can't see that your acetone is bubbling away all you have left is a gooey mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom