Picky customer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CaRed

I am putting together a package for a customer. She ordered a Cambridge in Cocobolo. Now she wants a case for the pen. I showed her the maple and rosewood cases. They are all too plain. She doesn't want to do any engraving to make the box look a bit less plain. I have sent her pictures of every box I can find from CSUSA, Arizona Silhouette, and any other laser engraving or pen sites. Nothing is elegant enough for her. I can't seem to find anything fancy.

Any suggestions? I don't have all the tools or time to try something like this. The delivery is early October so I have some time but I can't seem to find anything.

Please help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dow

I am putting together a package for a customer. She ordered a Cambridge in Cocobolo. Now she wants a case for the pen. I showed her the maple and rosewood cases. They are all too plain. She doesn't want to do any engraving to make the box look a bit less plain. I have sent her pictures of every box I can find from CSUSA, Arizona Silhouette, and any other laser engraving or pen sites. Nothing is elegant enough for her. I can't seem to find anything fancy.

Any suggestions?
Hmm... A question comes to mind that might bear asking. Something like:
"Ma'am, would you hide a diamond in a hand-cut crystal vase? Then why would you diminish and overshadow the beauty of this pen in an ornate box? The box is there not only to protect the pen, but also to show it off in the best way possible. A simple, understated box would accomplish both of these goals, protecting the pen and concentrating ALL of the attention where it belongs, on the pen. It would also state irrefutably that you are a person with a highly refined sense of style and grace."
On the other hand, I might not know what I'm talking about. :)

Good luck with this. It's been my experience that what people THINK they want and what they ACTUALLY want are often very different things, and lots of times they don't realize the difference until it's too late.

Chief Hill

Sorry to hear about the customer like that. I really hate dealing with people that are really picky. IT turns my hobby into a job especially when you show them everything and NOTHING is good enough. Good luck. I attached a nice box she can put a pen into. ITs really elaborate :eek: :biggrin:

Attachments

• canadian.jpg
    canadian.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 153

CaRed

Sorry to hear about the customer like that. I really hate dealing with people that are really picky. IT turns my hobby into a job especially when you show them everything and NOTHING is good enough. Good luck. I attached a nice box she can put a pen into. ITs really elaborate :eek: :biggrin:

I needed a good chuckle this morning. You got it right on the head when you said it turns from a hobby to a job. I really want to impress her not only with the pen but the service. She has the potential to bring tons of business. At this point I have put in so much time it is starting to feel like a job. I figured a simple maple or rosewood box could be transformed into something very elegant and personal with some high quality engraving. Sent her a few examples and she was left cold.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
That has to be the first pen box I have truely liked, I'm going to have to try and make a couple of them. The design would fit well in the office of some of my customers.

jttheclockman

Actually the casket idea is not all that bad of an idea for a pen box. I can see Jeff our master scroller doing this with one of his skelton pens or something similar. :eek:

Chief Hill

Well there ya are gents give it a try. Lee vally tools or rockler sell all the mini hardware for stuff like that. It would be really cool but too much for 1 pen. Maybe for a set.

CaRed

Just tell your customer that there is nothing else available. You can only do so much and some people can never be pleased.

That is about the point I am at now. So far I have given her about 10-15 options and none are good enough. I will actually be happy when I give her her pen and we are done with. Unless she orders more for Christmas.

On Edge

Just a thought

How about adding a 1/8" inlay to the top ? Rockler plus several other wood craft suppliers offer numerous designs which do look quite impressive on a small or medium size music box or humidore.

To accomplish this would require you to cut a pattern and rout a groove the width and just slightly less deep than the thickness of the inlay. You will need to square the outside corner square using a chisel or exacto knife, cut and glue the pieces in placed and then refinish the top of the box. Once sanded flush I paint the inlay ONLY with shellac before applying stain to the top surface. Once you have the stain to your liking you can remove the shellac with alcohol then apply a varnish or lacquer to the complete top.

A little more than what you might want to do but I assume she doesn't expect this for nothig and it might possibly gain you a high end customer for a lot of repeat sales in the future.

To make the entire project more worth while why not make a half dozen which you could use for future top end offerings.

jppensplus

Look at PennStateIndustries--they have a glass-fronted pen box available in black and in rosewood--inexpensive but quite dramatic--I think they're a great value and have a sophisticated appearance--

jppens[lus

DurocShark

Look at PennStateIndustries--they have a glass-fronted pen box available in black and in rosewood--inexpensive but quite dramatic--I think they're a great value and have a sophisticated appearance--

jppens[lus

This is the best idea, IMHO, for a superior pen. You can make one yourself easily as well, but the bang for the buck isn't there.

I guess the question is if you do flat work aside from pens? Do you have tools and skills to meet her needs?

I personally have no problem with picky. Those folks usually challenge me to grow, do new things, and have more fun.

Top Bottom