picking a lathe???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

watch_art

If I had to pick any of these, best bang for buck, which one would do best for making kitless pens? (eventually, with practice)
Cost is an issue - but I don't want to get something and then buy adapters before I could use it.

Am I right thinking I should go with MT2 stuff instead of MT1? There are more parts for MT2 - to make kitless right?

Anywho... here are a few that I've found in the last few minutes.

Rikon
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00929644000P?prdNo=5

Craftsman
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00921752000P?prdNo=7

Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x-18-Bench-Top-Wood-Lathe/H8259

Shop Fox
http://www.amazon.com/SHOP-W1752-Mini-Wood-Lathe/dp/tags-on-product/B001R23TD0

Help me please I don't know what I'm doing!! :biggrin:

Also - in this price range is there anything that's just heads and tales above the rest that I haven't found yet?

Also - somebody slap me. :tongue:

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I have a Rikon and a Jet VS. I bought the Rikon first, then the Jet. After using both, I use the Jet for turning and keep the Rikon on the finishing table. On Delrin bushings, smearing CA, you don't need utmost accuracy. The Rikon is fine for that. Some turners like the Rikon. BUT, you sound like you are about where I was when I bought the Rikon. There is no need in buying two lathes, just sayin! I haven't used the Griz or Sears!

bking0217

I'm sure you're probably sick of reading responses like this but I can't say enough about my Delta 46-460. Yeah, it's more expensive than the ones you're considering, but quality-wise, it's in a different category.

Last edited:

Woodlvr

For what it is worth I have two Jets - one variable and one non variable. I have had them for over 8yrs and no real problems. Not counting my issues- you know personal stupidity type of issues. Just my humble opinion. I would really like to try a real mustard monster before I have to quit turning. I was taught that MT2 was definitely the only way to go. Good luck.

DSallee

+1 on what Brian said... Jet and delta are more expensive but well worth the extra!! The quality and accuracy is in a different league! If at all possible, I'd try to get one of these! And yes, MT2 is best, more attachment options.

eupher58

I worked in tools for sears for a couple of years. I've got a garage full of craftsman. When I went lathe shopping, the craftsman is one I looked at. But I wanted the variable speed. I think that is a real plus having the vs. The one thing I did like about the Craftsman is the location of the switch. I'm a righty. If anything goes south it will probably be with my right hand getting caught somewhere. Every other machine I looked at including the one I bought has the switch in the same place...lower right, out of my reach if my right hand happens to be caught.....

Papo

Shawn,take your time buying your new lathe, I know, I know, you rather be done with the buying process and be turning.Here is my 2 cents, Since you are new to all that is going on I would go with the Jet 1014vs.(vs= variable speed).Its a well made machine that does not loose too much value. Has 1x8 thread, that's the thread that's in the head stock. You'll be able to get all sort of goodies for it like, chucks,pen mandrels, ect.If later on you want to get a stand for it they are available you can also get an extension bed for it.Look carefully make your best decision knowing that you would want to do this once.Also keep in mind that there are some great deals on craiglists.If you go that route take someone that is expierience with lathes with you.
Good Luck
Be Bless

wiset1

I've been using a PSI special for a little over a year now that's a MT1. While it has been a champ for what I need and well within my budget at the time I can honestly say I wish I would have saved for a MT2 vs JET. I have a vs now, but the Jet is the upgrade I'm looking for. Best wishes!

soligen

You Definately want MT2 1x8 TPI. Kitless work means a lot of tooling changes, so the VS is a nice time/hassel saver. I would not want to give up the VS.

I too have the delta, it is a step above and you need accuracy for the kind of drilling kitless requires.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I have a Delta and 2 Rikons in my shop, the Rikons are my prefered lathes for turning and my Delta is a dedicated buffer at this point. I removed all my Jets from the shop as I didn't like them. You will want to go with an MT2 as there are more accessories for that size and it is stronger. You're going to find a lot of mixed opinions about the lathes and will have to find the best you can aford at the time, I would shop around for the best price on whatever lathe you select to buy.

Last edited:

JohnGreco

I own a Shopfox (smaller model) and can't wait to replace it. I can get good results from it, but it seems like there's always something wrong. Currently it's that the 6" tool rest snapped off at the post when I was roughing a bowl blank. Not a problem, until you realize the post hole for the tool rest is smaller than anything else available through 3rd party mfr's.

Before this, the tailstock handle that you turn to extend/retract the tailstock had snapped (after maybe 3 months?). That was 4 weeks of downtime while they took their time shipping out a replacement. At the time it was an inexpensive way to see if I was going to venture into the world of turning, but if you already know you are going to take to turning, spend your hard earned $$ elsewhere.

OKLAHOMAN

Shawn, you say that you want to eventually make kitless and with that in mind I would not purchase any lathe that was not mt2 and 1x8 TPI as just about all attachments, collets etc require either 1x8 TPI (threads per inch) or #2 Morse Taper (MT2).VS ( Variable speed) is not necessary but sure is nice to have. It's just like your fountain pen collection going inexpensive will write but not as good as some of the more expensive ones.
Check Craigs list in your aera, good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
MT2 and Variable Speed (VS).

More people than not either wish they had spent an extra $75 - $100 for VS - after the fact. Changing speeds is not a problem with belts on most, BUT some models make it more difficult than others. I am one that ended up ordering a VS to add to my Rikon. It is FAR more convenient than switching belts. I will not buy another lathe without VS. I would almost not turn than do all the switching. This is a personal preference for the user, . . . and as I wrote above more people than not prefer VS or wish they had spent the extra for it.

watch_art

Thanks everybody. I'm just going to bite the bullet now and figure out how to get the Jet vs or delta 46 460. I'll get accessories as I go. :biggrin:

Last edited:

bradbn4

I was just thinking that maybe the NOVA 46000 Comet II Midi Lathe might be a good fit?

Ok, I was thinking it might be a good fit for me - but not found anyone who has used it yet. I guess it's just too new of a lathe to have a track record. And this lathe would fit in the size category with a list price around 499 and I have seen it sold for 30+ less + free shipping on amazon once.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Comet-II-Midi-Lathe-See-Our-Dealer-List-46000.htm

Papo

Look at this deal on craigslist about 30 minutes south of Tampa Fl.
The guy wants $600.00 for all of it including the bench
Man what deal!!.If I was to tried and buy this my offer will start around $450.
you never know.

widows son

NOVA Comet

I was just thinking that maybe the NOVA 46000 Comet II Midi Lathe might be a good fit?

Ok, I was thinking it might be a good fit for me - but not found anyone who has used it yet. I guess it's just too new of a lathe to have a track record. And this lathe would fit in the size category with a list price around 499 and I have seen it sold for 30+ less + free shipping on amazon once.

http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Comet-II-Midi-Lathe-See-Our-Dealer-List-46000.htm

There was a NOVA Comet at SWAT in Waco, TX last summer. Nice looking lathe, well finished and maybe my second lather. It was not available when I bought my Delta, but I sure looked hard at it. The Delta is great lathe and handles everything I have tried to turn on it.

FordTrax

NOVA 1624

I looked hard at the Delta and really liked it. However it was $600 with the rebate. I elected to get a NOVA 1624 reconditioned from the manufacture for $799 plus shipping. Not slamming the other lathes - but it is a heck of a lot more lathe. 16" swing with 24" between centers and it must be about 275Lbs assembled. 1.5 hp motor with 8 speeds. It is up-gradable to the DVR motor if you want down the road. It is really made nice and while it is bigger than the others you are looking at - it is still not huge - kind of bulldog buit. That was the deciding factor I guess for me - it is kind of a heavy mid-sized lathe with 1.5 hp motor which turns for outboard turning - and plenty of swing. It even comes with decent steel legs. My logic was to spend a bit more to get a lathe with a lot more capability that hopefully I will not outgrow.

I researched pretty hard before I purchased.

Sorry for the newbie question. Can someone please explain what is MT1 and MT2? My lathe (Turncrafter Commander 12") says it's got #2MT... is it the same thing?

Thank you in advance.

Top Bottom