pickguard material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never used pickguard material and would like to try it. So I have a some questions for those of you that do. Since it comes in 12"x20" sheets what is the best/easiest way to cut it up? Scroll saw, table saw? Can you use it for more than a CB? That is, can it be glued to wood for laminations? One supplier I found is Stewart McDonald. Is this the best place to buy from?
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials.html
Any suggestions on which laminates or solid colours to use?
Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

YoYoSpin

George,

I use a band saw to cut the stuff up. Used it with all kinds of woods and plastics for laminations and the like. Yes, Stewart McD is tops, but here's another source: http://www.warmoth.com/pickguards/pickguards.cfm
BI_1a.jpg

Acrylic32b.jpg

YoYo24b.jpg

jwoodwright

I ordered some from here. Yes, you can use it in laminations.

Look at yoyospins album. He laminates it with everything.[:)]

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=120&cid=135&page=13

RPM

George,
I've looked at stewmac before and was ready to buy some (I really like the 5 layer black & white) until I got to the shipping. Ouch! For one piece its too much. This might be a good one for someone to put an assortment together (buy a bunch of different large sheets and cut them into quarters or half) in a group buy, hint, hint.
Richard

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I use pick guard from Warmoth (see YoYoSpin's link above). Their prices are good, their selection is great and their shipping is excellent. They are in Puyallup, WA and are a very nice group of folks to deal with.

Richard, compared to some other US sites the shipping to Canada is not too bad - 3 shts $12.25 CAD (~10.53USD). I checked the Warmoth site mentioned above and unless I'm reading the site wrong it looks like for up to 3lbs shipping is $23.45 USD[:O]. I'll call them tomorrow and find out if that really is shipping to Canada.
How do you cut it, tablesaw?
I would never be able to run a group buy from Canada but if anyone wants to run one I'm in.

BigRob777

George,
Hi, get your wood yet? I don't know anything about pick guards, but thanks for posting this. I thought you had to actually buy picks and turn them down. It is nice to have good of sources.

Ed,
Nice work. I wondered how you got the nickname yoyospin. This stuff will be nice for stoppers, as you have shown. I can't wait to get to the point at which I work with laminates. I like what eagle does with them.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom