Picked up an arbor press.....?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodChucker

I bought the 1 ton, just in case I make a really big pen. :D

Anyway, couple of question.

1. The arbor shaft doesn't stay up, is that the way they work or do I have it together wrong?

2. There's a little flat steel piece that came with it and I don't have a clue what it's for. It's about an 8th" thick, by 1.5" long and 7/8" wide. Any idea what this is for?

Thanks!.....R.T.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodman928

I think that goes between the arbor and the housing to cause friction so it will stay up or in place you may have to pull the arbor out and see it there is a place for it. Might look at the parts list if you have one and see if it shows you where it goes. Not sure if I am clear enough hope so. [8)]
Jay

G

Make?
model #?
Link?
possibly with a picture someone could help you out.

jwoodwright

RT, the plate is for holding the Ram up when positioning the stuff to be pressed. It goes between teeth and the top of the press body.
I keep my press arm loose, not tightened in one position. This way it rotates and keeps the ram up... You can see that the arm is resting on the work top and the ram is up and out of the way...

2004116212_Arbor%20and%20Pen%20Press.jpg

PenWorks

RT, Do you plan on packing bearings in your pens soon? LOL Well you know what they say, BIGGER is always better. I got a Grizzly press too, works fine and you couldn't beat the price. Anthony

Daniel

RT,
I have the smaller version of your press. I don't fiddle with the plate though. what i did was spun the ram all the way to the top where I want it to be while resting. and then se the handle just a bit off center so the heavy side keeps the ram from being able to fall. at least in the smaller press the handle has plenty of weight when just a bit off center.

WoodChucker

Thanks everyone!

woodman928, I did what you said and it did look like there was a spot inside to hold that plate, so I left it in there. But that alone didn't do anything. However, and I don't know if this is the correct way or not, but it worked. If you look at the pic of the press on the left in (jwoodwright)post, you will see two set screws sticking out the front where the handle connects, I just barley turned both screws a hair and it put enough drag on the shaft to keep it where ever ya need it. And that plate is right behind those set screws. [:)]

Eaglesc,your right I should have posted a pic or a link. There is no model # on this thing, not even a make. Also, there were no directions or parts sheet, which upset me a little. This was the first thing I ever bought from Grizzly, I also bought a magnetic dial indicator that came with the wrong size washer which prevented the switch from turning on or off. The arbor looks like someone beat it with a hammer, paint chips broken off all over it. I emailed them two days ago and still haven't gotten an answer. I know, I should have sent it back, but it's not so bad that I can't use them and I really don't want to go through all that rma crap and then waiting who knows how long.

jwoodwright, nice setup you got there, did you make that little press in the back ground? Your press looks just like mine except yours is Grey and mine is green. Is yours from HF? Thanks for the input, I did in fact try putting that plate between the teeth and it does keep it up, but to me that would be a pain playing around with it all the time. But I guess it's what ever you get used to, hey?

penworks, and YOU my friend I somehow knew would be the one to have a wise crack.[:D] It does sound ridiculous, I mean even an 1/2 ton press sounds like a little over kill for pen making, don't ya think? lol.

Daniel, good idea, thanks for the tip!

Thanks again everyone!...........R.T.

jwoodwright

R.T. Thanks. The small press in the back is a NutCracker that I modified.[8D] Both presses are from Grizzly. The green one has a cut-off bolt embedded in the Corian ram. The gray one has more controlled force.[:)]

G

Eaglesc,your right I should have posted a pic or a link. There is no model # on this thing, not even a make. Also, there were no directions or parts sheet, which upset me a little. This was the first thing I ever bought from Grizzly, I also bought a magnetic dial indicator that came with the wrong size washer which prevented the switch from turning on or off. The arbor looks like someone beat it with a hammer, paint chips broken off all over it. I emailed them two days ago and still haven't gotten an answer. I know, I should have sent it back, but it's not so bad that I can't use them and I really don't want to go through all that rma crap and then waiting who knows how long.]

If you have any problems with Griz stuff ask for Bo Laughner to handle it.
He used to be a service tech and was moved to Customer Service Supervisor.
HE will get the problem fixed!

WoodChucker

Eaglesc, thanks for the info. I just might give him a call because I've still not heard back from them. Oh well, it could be worse, I could still be waiting for it to come. [:D]

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom