Pick Guard Method

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
I've been going through a few albums (Don Ward's) and I noticed accent bands that appear to be 'pick guard' or some similar material. I sure would like a few hints on how to incorporate that sort of thing in my humble pen making attempts[:I]! Anyone got the time to get me started or know of a site where the information is available[?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Don't know if there is a specific "method" to using pick guard material. I've seen a couple of posting regarding incorporating contrasting materials in blanks (both in pens and other turnings) and am starting to experiment myself (as soon as I find the right material...personal choice). Pretty much you cut a blank open and glue in the laminate/plastice/contrasting wood (whatever)wherever you think it will look good. Glue the blank back together, drill, and turn!

I've also read about this type of material being used as "oops" bands and spacers to salvage misbehaving pens.

Other materials, such as colored fibre washers and colored plastic plates, have also been used by some of the members here and I intend to try that as well.

Good luck!

Fred in NC

Fibre washers can be bought at www.woodturningz.com It is in the pen parts page.

I have used contrasting veneers for some of my laminations. Since most veneer is very thin, sometimes I cut up strips, and glue up 2-3 strips together, like 2 dark on the outside and light in the middle.

Sometimes my lamination material comes out of pen blanks. For example, blanks that are too thick for a pen. I just sand one side and slice off 1/16" or so on the bandsaw. Then I sand the cut side.

A glue-up jig comes in very handy. Mine is just a piece of MDF with a straight ledge, also MDF, running along one side, and a stop piece at one end of the ledge. Kind of an "L" shape. I use waxed paper, line up the pieces, put a straight stick on the other side, and clamp away.

Hope this helps a bit.

its_virgil

Tom,
Don Ward here. I use pick guard, the fiber washers that Ryan sells at http://www.woodturningz.com, sheet plastic, old credit cards, guitar picks, cd's, wood, antler, or anything else I can find to slice thin, drill a hole, glue the piece on the end of the blank and turn. I especially like the fiber washers and the multi-layer pick guards. Pick guard comes in a wide variety of colors and it really easy to turn. Search on picguard and you will find some.

May I suggest giving Russ Fairfield's site a look. Go to http://www.woodturnerruss.com and find his pen turning instructions. He has some neat ways to turn slimlines and after that just use your imnagination. Thanks for looking at my pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by thostorey
<br />I've been going through a few albums (Don Ward's) and I noticed accent bands that appear to be 'pick guard' or some similar material. I sure would like a few hints on how to incorporate that sort of thing in my humble pen making attempts[:I]! Anyone got the time to get me started or know of a site where the information is available[?]

thostorey

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada.
Thanks for answering Don. I went to my local engraving/trophy shop today and he gave me some type of plastic(?) name tag material, 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch thick. I cut out a 3/4" square from each and ca glued them to the ends of a 3/4 x 3/4 rosewood blank with the thought of seeing how it would look as a pen. You can imagine my dismay and surprise, after an hour and after the application of an accelerator, when the material literally fell off the ends of the wood! Not a trace of ca on the plastic, yes on the wood. Hmmm. I then repeated the process with poylurethane glue but I doubt that it will hold. I guess the $64 question is, what glue sould I be using??[?]

Thanks, Tom

its_virgil

Tom,
I usually use CA for gluing the plastic to the end of the blank. I rough it a little with sandpaper but have had no problem with it sticking. I did not like the name tag material from my local engraver. It is the stuff for manes over doors etc. It seemed to be very brittle, did not drill nor turn very well...chipped, cracked and not satisfactory.You may have a better touch with it or a different kind. I find lots of plastic, colored plexiglass and acrylic at a local sign maker. He uses a laser/computer set-up to cut letters and logos from large sheets and tossesf the scrap in his dumpster. some is useable and some not. If it is too thick, I glue it anyway and use my squaring jig on the disk sander and sand it to tthe desires thickness. Keep your eyes open for anything that can be used for making pens accent pieces.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by thostorey
<br />Thanks for answering Don. I went to my local engraving/trophy shop today and he gave me some type of plastic(?) name tag material, 1/16th and 1/8th of an inch thick. I cut out a 3/4" square from each and ca glued them to the ends of a 3/4 x 3/4 rosewood blank with the thought of seeing how it would look as a pen. You can imagine my dismay and surprise, after an hour and after the application of an accelerator, when the material literally fell off the ends of the wood! Not a trace of ca on the plastic, yes on the wood. Hmmm. I then repeated the process with poylurethane glue but I doubt that it will hold. I guess the $64 question is, what glue sould I be using??[?]

Thanks, Tom

swm6500

I have not used pickguard yet, but have done some searching and this site seems to be reasonably priced. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Laminated_Pickguard_Materials.html

Gary

I've ordered pickguard and other supplies from them and have been satisified. Great service, too.

Rifleman1776

As suggested, many ordinary materials will work. But, at the same time, many plastics will not glue up properly. Knife makers and gunsmiths use materials for spacers frequently. Check out sites that supply these guys. The laminates come in a variety of colors and thicknesses and are glueable. And cheap.

Deere41h

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />I have not used pickguard yet, but have done some searching and this site seems to be reasonably priced. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Laminated_Pickguard_Materials.html

Grizzly also has pick guard in their new catalog. I just ordered some from them. Will let you know how it looks when I get it. It's also a bit cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom