Piano Keys

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

Does anyone have any experience with piano keys?
Are the older ones actualy made from ivory? Or just a white material?
If just a white material, is it white al the way through, or a coating of white.
Wondering what would happen if you turned then....what would you end up with.
Thanks
Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Some of the old ones are ivory, depends how old.

If you placed a old plastic key next to a old ivory key you would easily tell the difference.

One other thing, it's illegal to sell real ivory in the US.

If you know a person who repairs pianos, they may be willing to trade real ivory for a pen. This is how I got my hands on some.

DWK5150

Here try this you might find this interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Warther-Ivory-inlay-tiles_W0QQitemZ8254441358QQcategoryZ41219QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

gerryr

Old pianos, those made prior to probably 1950, had an ivory overlay on the top of the keys. After 1950, a lot of pianos, especially the cheaper "spinet" models, used some kind of plastic. I used to work in a music store in early 1960's and you could actually feel the difference between real ivory and the imitation stuff.

It isn't illegal to sell ivory in the US, as long as it was imported into the US prior to ivory imports being banned. I get ivory from a piano tuner who keeps the dinged up pieces from repairing keys. Since there aren't a lot of pianos around with real ivory, I might buy some of that stuff on eBay, seems like a reasonable price.

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />It isn't illegal to sell ivory in the US, as long as it was imported into the US prior to ivory imports being banned.

You may be right
http://www.coupdefoudre.com/Ivory.html
http://www.boonetrading.com/Pg18.html

gerryr

The laws vary significantly by country. I was told by a couple of friends in Australia that it's absolutely illegal to sell any ivory there, even antique stuff. You can own it, but you can't sell it.

JimGo

You can own it, but you can't sell it.

Interesting. I wonder whether you can inherit it, or whether you can receive it as a gift. Otherwise, how do you dispose of it? I assume you can always donate it to a museum; there's usually that kind of loophole here in the U.S., and from what I understand, Australian law tends to have similar clauses (though you certainly shouldn't rely on me for Australian law!).

Darley

<br />The laws vary significantly by country. I was told by a couple of friends in Australia that it's absolutely illegal to sell any ivory there, even antique stuff. You can own it, but you can't sell it.

You can buy it or sell it till is all ready on the Australian ground but you CAN'T Import some, it's considered as an animal product ( quaratine law ) even a piece of bone ( unless you work for the Australian Museum ) and yes JimGo we got loophole too[:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've sold several elephant ivory pens in the past. Here are the rules for the US. 1) You may only buy and/or sell pre-ban (1970) acquired ivory. You have to be able to prove it's legal! And you may not send it out of the country nor sell it to someone if you know they intend to take it out of the country. If you are getting elephant ivory of any size (say 5/8" square x 5") and not paying at least a couple of hundred dollars, it's most likely illegal or not real elephant ivory.

tnilmerl

The ban deals primarily with elephant ivory. Mammoth ivory, on the other hand, is totally legal. I looked into shipping it in from Russia and Siberia, but the custom taxes and minimum order requirements exceeded my pocketbook. There are several people in USA that did ship it in and are selling pre-cut pen blanks. Around $50 A BLANK. Kinda pricey, but I seen pens going for $300 turned from mammoth ivory.

cd18524

ok, dumb question. The ivory comes from the tusks right? If that is the case aren't the tusks hollow? And if that is the case how do you make a pen out of it?

I guess I should have said dumb questions.....

Chris

chigdon

There are a number of dealers of Mammoth Ivory that are obviously pre-1970[:)] and they come from Russia as mentioned and Alaska. It is safe to use without worry or criticism but alas I have not tried it either. I plan on it but the cost and fear of screwing it up have kept me from trying. I will probably buy something equivalent to a half blank and resaw it for bands. Not as bad if I screw up a single band.

Originally posted by cd18524
<br />ok, dumb question. The ivory comes from the tusks right? If that is the case aren't the tusks hollow? And if that is the case how do you make a pen out of it?

I guess I should have said dumb questions.....

Chris
Not dumb question. Elephant tusk is not as hollow as say a cow horn. It is solid most of the way back from the tip. The butt end where it attached to the elephant is somewhat hollow but the wall is very thick. On a big tusk it can be 1 1/2" thick. Up toward the pointy end it will be solid or only have a tiny pin hole down to where it is about 3" in diameter, again on a large tusk.

You have seen pictures, I'm sure, where elephants are lifting teak logs with their tusks, them things are heavy duty and if they were very hollow they would break off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom