Photo-reactive wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

I have a bunch of Mulberry that I cut up and is about ready to turn. I had turned a couple of beads to see how it would turn out and let one sit on the dash of my truck for about 2 weeks and it turned from an “interesting†yellow to a beautiful iridescent brown. My question is does anyone have any idea how to speed up the process? I plan on mass producing a batch of these pens and don’t like the idea of spending the summer with a bunch of pens on my dash.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

Sounds interesting...
Is the brown only a "top" layer[?]
Have tou "turned" a brown section to see what is underneath[?]
How does the brown section finish[?]
Does a finished yellow section turn nice brown[?]

Thumbs

If it's just UV, aren't those fluorescent lights (purple ones kids use) they sell for accent lighting cheaper and cheaper operating?

low_48

I'd watch it using the grow lights, especially don't order them on the net. Might have the DEA watching the shop!!![8D][8D]

Rich

rtparso

Is the brown only a "top" layer [?] Well I can say that I had a unfinished piece that had darkened and the tan sanded off quickly. So yes and not very deep.
Have you "turned" a brown section to see what is underneath[?] No
How does the brown section finish[?] In this case the beads were finished before the bead was exposed to the sun. Three beads were turned to approximately the diameter of a designer pen and then sanded to 1500 grit finished with CA and polished to 12000 MM
Does a finished yellow section turn nice brown[?] See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom