Photo of first Celtic knot pens, and a question about a checkerboard pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

With the help of the Celtic Knot slicing jig, I made two beautiful Celtic Knot pens!

I'm gluing up some wood to make a checkerboard pen and was wondering if it would be better to drill the blank before cutting it into pieces to flip, or first cut all of the pieces and glue them together before drilling for the brass tube?

Thanks for all of the help!

Attachments

• Pen.jpg
    Pen.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 691
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Nathan,
I've had better luck drilling first then flipping the pieces. but if your drilling is dead center of the blank either way will work, however by drilling first then cutting and stacking on the tubes you have some control of placement and can adjust if the pattern is off slightly. The way I do is to stack the pieces on a sanded tube twisting and rotating the pattern until I'm satisfied, clamp very lightly with a squeeze clamp, wick thin CA into the joints and tightening the clamp. Usually works very well!
GOOD LUCK!

Texatdurango

Nice looking rings. You did a good job of centering them on the blank, a detail that many overlook on the first few.

Might I suggest alternating your cuts not just going around the blank. That way the lines will appear to be constantly overlapping eacy other rather than just one ring over the top of the other.

snatiep

Randy, your jig is awesome! It really made it a piece of cake to cut the thin slices and accurately cut the slots around the blank! Great jig and thank you for the plans! (you don't happen to have any plans for a homemade gouge sharpening jig do ya?)

Texatdurango, what do you mean by alternating the cuts? I'd love to learn more techniques! Thanks for the input!

Mr Vic

It looks like you cut the blank, glued the insert, rotated 90 degrees and so on around the plank. Instead me condusing the issue, check this thread in the library.....http://content.penturners.org/articles/2007/celticknot.pdf or this one http://content.penturners.org/articles/2008/6-strand-celtic-knot.pdf Both are tutorials...I learned a a lot from them...even attenmpted an eight sided knot....Best addvice it take your time and get things lined up just right...you'll see a world of difference when you do. I attached a sample of one I completed after readin gthe tutorials....

Attachments

• Celtic European.JPG
    Celtic European.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 256

snatiep

Ah I see, I can't remember how I cut it though. Are you supposed to cut one side, cut the opposite side (180degrees), then cut the other two on opposite sides? Or should I cut one side, then just rotate the blank 90' and work my way around?

Mr Vic

I use the 180 turn.....For a 4 ring Knot I cut #1 then #2 ( opposite side) then #3 & #4. For a six ring go 1&2, 3&4, 5&6 as you go round you are numbered 1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6. Make sense? Ive done only one with eight rings....My gap on the inserts was off but it still came out a beauty...Neer got a picture,,,,,,

Top Bottom