Pheasant Wood Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emsmith

I have a Pheasant Wood blank and am trying to decide what pen it might look best as. I am having a difficult time visualizing this blank in its turned state. I searched the archives and did not find any examples of Pheasant Wood pens. The wood looks really interesting and I want to try and mate it with a complementary kit and style.

I would really like to see a finished piece so, if anyone has a picture of a Pheasant Wood pen in either their album that they can point me to or that they are willing to post I would appreciate it.

Kits on hand include, upgrade gold baron, upgrade gold and chrome cigars, TG euros, and gold slimlines. I'm leaning towards a chrome cigar. I'm also open to trying another style from those listed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

This is a picture I found on the net.

2005517223216_Kolohala1.jpg

jenamison

Very nice...Eric I bet the rose gold kit from Berea would be extremely nice with that wood. To me that's one of those kits that absolutely have to have the right piece of wood and soon as I saw this pic, that's the kit that popped into my head. BTW...where did you find that wood, wouldn't mind trying to locate some myself?

Mike

emsmith

Originally posted by jenamison
<br />Very nice...Eric I bet the rose gold kit from Berea would be extremely nice with that wood. To me that's one of those kits that absolutely have to have the right piece of wood and soon as I saw this pic, that's the kit that popped into my head. BTW...where did you find that wood, wouldn't mind trying to locate some myself?

Mike

It was an impulse buy from Bill Baumbeck at AS. Whenever I place an order with him I try and order a blank of something that I haven't turned before.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
While I have not turned any pheasantwood, if I were you I would sand an edge to get a better feel for the wood, then hold various finishes up against it. The grain appears to be very fine, so I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the pen models you have in stock, including the slimline.

melogic

I am a big fan of the Statesman or Statesman Jr. Though as Lou said, just about any pen would look good with this wood. Good Luck and don't forget to post a picture of your finished decision. [^]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
From the Hawai‘i Forest Industry Association
Pheasantwood, kolohala (Cassia siamea)
This introduced Southeast Asian tree has been planted as a flowering street
tree. It grows to 60 feet high with a diameter of about two feet. The wood is
relatively heavy, (specific gravity .75) and hard. It has a beautiful figure on
flat-sawn faces that mimics the tail feathers of the pheasant. The wood is not
commonly available from plantation sources, but is frequently found by arborists
in the care of landscaping and street trees. It is used for ornamentation or trim
on decorative and furniture products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom