Persimmon, Sweetgum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimship15

What about turning Persimmon or sweetgum?? I know Persimmon was used for golf club heads, I have a lot of trees on my property and could probably cut few.

Thanks,
Jim Shipman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Here's my answer to the persimmon, Get the chainsaw running!!!!!
Here is a couple of pics of a persimmon heartwood. I flipped the pen over so you could see the side without the sapwood. There just isn't much heartwood. What I found out when I cut this last fall was that if I tightly packed the wet sawn blanks together, they all stained pretty dark. I have a bunch of blanks in a plastic bag hoping to repeat the process. Good luck!

200732031925_persimmon%201.jpg

200732031944_persimmon%202.jpg

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I've turned a few persimmon pens and added a golf clip for golfers. I just completed one that was labeled Texas Persimmon that is very light.
All turned very easily. If you decide to cut any persimmon, let me know.

low_48

Thanks for the laugh Jim[:D][:D][:D] I guess that's why I have 3 chainsaws. I always keep one in the van just in case[:p] I wish they made a chainsaw rack for the back window.

Woodnknots

I have some persimmon in 4/4 lumber that is air dried (milled late 2005) if anyone wants blanks. I've had one or two people get them from me on this forum that liked them. What's a fair price for persimmon blanks? I'll sacrifice a board if need be. Jumbo blanks, 1" square.

SteveRussell

Hello Jim,

I turn Persimmon frequently and Sweetgum on occasion. Sweetgum grows like a weed in my neck of the woods, but I get my Persimmon out of North Carolina. I usually turn bowls from Persimmon, but I also do small projects as well. I particularly like the black banded Persimmon for the best color. If the tree was large enough, you may be able to get solid black bands large enough for a pen out of the centre heartwood. These black bands are very hard and look like high polished ebony when finished. Really nice timber to work![:D]

Sweetgum can be colorful, but it generally looks better if it's spalted. Tone spraying can help the color if you have the equipment and you know how to do that... I would opt to stabilize the Sweetgum if possible for increased durability of the barrels. Fresh cut Sweetgum is better than aged cut, as the colors tend to get muddy with time. Good luck and best wishes to you in all of your woodturning endeavors!

Gary Max

I make all my lathe tool handels out of Persimmion---I also just started making Faceplates out of it. You will find that the wood is different color depending where you are in the country---it's kinda a grayish white around here---The wood really wants to twist and split like apple. So it's a real bear to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom