Persimmon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<b>STOP</b>... that stuff is extremely dangerous and should only be handled by someone trained in the proper disposal techniques....
You are extremely fortunate that I have read this thread... I happen to be trained and certified in the proper disposal of Persimmon... please make sure that the trunk and crotch areas are cut into 12" lengths and I will arrange pickup.

Nice stuff.. have fun with it... it makes nice bowls, lidded boxes and just about anything else you want to turn...

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Scott, the grain is rather plain compared to some wood. The persimmon I have used is rather creamy tan in color. If you can cut blanks with a knot in the blank, it makes for an interesting black area as a contrast on the pen. It may prove popular with golfers old enough to remember persimmon wood drivers.

Dario

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />What color is the persimmon wood? We have black persimmon wood here in Japan and it is beautiful. Turns great!

It is mostly cream in color with black heartwood. Apparently, Japan is notorious for buying persimmon, dying it blank and selling them as ebony [:D]. No dis-respect meant just read a lot about it during my wood research.

scooter413

"please make sure that the trunk and crotch areas are cut into 12" lengths and I will arrange pickup."

Did you want that to go UPS or USPS. Thanks for the information. I have not cut the tree down yet. It is at my father's place and they keep backing into it so it is going to come down. It is probably 20' tall, so I should have a little to work with.

Dario

Originally posted by scooter413
<br /> It is probably 20' tall

That must be some Persimmon...most that I've seen are about 12' or less.

Make your cuts count...plan ahead if you want to maximize what you can get out of it. I got a piece recently and its got nice curls under the branch (outside the crotch).

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />What color is the persimmon wood? We have black persimmon wood here in Japan and it is beautiful. Turns great!
It is mostly cream in color with black heartwood. Apparently, Japan is notorious for buying persimmon, dying it blank and selling them as ebony [:D]. No dis-respect meant just read a lot about it during my wood research.
This is some of the Japanese black persimmon Hank is talking about. Thanks Hank!

/forum/albums/DCBluesman/tn/tn_JapaneseBlackPersimmonViewA.jpg

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Dario. BTW, here's an Asian ebony.

/forum/albums/DCBluesman/tn/tn_BlackAndWhiteEbony.jpg

They do have a similar appearance in photographs, but the black persimmon is much richer looking in person.

Here is some good old American Persimmon Wood. I cut the tree in middle Georgia about 30 years ago and made a copy of a Stradivari Baroque Guitar about 25 years ago. Use the Persimmon for the rose, bridge and tuning pegs. It ages nicely. It very good for carving, crisp lines. Persimmon is kin to Ebony and there are sometimes trees cut in the US whos heart turns out black. I have never seen that but I have seen black streaks in it.

200569213950_Strad-Guitar-0013.jpg

20056921405_Strad-Guitar-0014.jpg

200569214021_Strad-Guitar-0018.jpg

woodwish

Mac, OK I'll agree it's not a pen but it sure is nice! I am very impressed, I can turn a pretty decent pen but I would have no idea how to tackle a project like that. [;)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Beautiful Mac... but what kind of refill does it take.. Cross or Parker[}:)]
Man I wish I had the patience for that kind of work.. or even to learn to play one.. these short fat fingers just don't work like that.. [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom