Perfume pen question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am new to IAP, and from what I have seen, this is the place to be. I am getting ready to make a perfume pen for my wife as part of her anniversary present. :) My question is, does the brass barrel need any special treatment before assembly, or is it compatible with the perfume? What about a small amount of glue that seems to end up inside the barrel? As I understand it, the wick is placed in the long brass barrel prior to assembly.

I researched perfume pens and did not find this question answered. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Woodmobiledrivr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Just follow the directions that should have come with the perfume pen kit. If you don't have them go to the vendors website and search for the kit. The kit page will usually have directions to the proper assembly procedure.

BTW, I have yet to have any problems with the perfume reacting with the brass tubes. Just clean the outside with 220 grit sandpaper, rub down with alcohol to remove any oil from handeling, and don't touch the brass with your fingers, apply glue to the tube and insert into the blank. :D

bitshird

I've made a few, and like Fred said rough the tubes don't touch them and so far I haven't had any complaints of perfume reacting to the brass, just tell the customer not to tighten the cap real tight, they will break the O ring, (don't ask how I know this););)

Paul Downes

I'm getting my inventoy of those set up before marketing. My only concern has been to get a good finish on the wood perfume pens because I don't want the perfume reacting with the wood. Most of the pens of that ilk that I am making are from home cast poly resins. It's been really fun messing with the colors. The perfume pens I have assembled have pressed together pretty tight so I haven't been too concerned about them leaking out of the cap ends.

Brewmeister35

There should be no issues with the brass at all. At least I've had no complaints as of yet. A couple suggestions for these:
1. Test fit an end cap first. Some of them are a little loose. The ends come off easy but the wick holder does not. I put a little epoxy on mine before assembling.

2. If it's going to be wood, I would suggest stabilized since it will most likely be bouncing around in a purse and not many finishes would stand up to that.

Winchester, Hampshire. SO22 5LB, United Kingdom.
I've made a lot of these over the past few months and they sell very well. I have learnt to use only acrylics to make these. Woods - even stabilised - don't stand up to the abuse it will receive inside a handbag or purse. Also the finish of any sort will not last long if perfume is spilt during filling etc. Spillage onto acrylics won't affect it at all - just wipe it off.
Make sure the inside of the tube is cleaned out of any glue used during the initial preparation of the blank.
Acrylics also come in very 'jazzy' colours which most ladies love.
Ian

Sylvanite

No, the brass does not need any special treatment before assembly. If you get any glue inside the barrel, ream it out before turning (a utility knife or barrel trimmer will do the job).

In terms of finishes, I am a CA guy, but I think Enduro is a better choice for purse-items. It is one of the few finishes that will withstand a nail-polish-remover spill.

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom