perfume applicators - What kind?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I am thinking about making some matching pens and perfume applicators to sell at my daughter-in-laws beauty salon this holiday season. I notice that there are two types of perfume applicators; the spray type and the dab-on type. Can any of you experienced turners tell me which of these perfume applicators sell the best from your experience? Also, if there is a supplier that sells better quality kits, that would be helpful also.

Thank you for your help with this and all the questions I have posted here.

Jim Smith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

Hi Jim,
Not to discourage you, but I made a bunch of these to give away for extra Christmas presents a few years back. I made about twenty of them, while everyone was nice about it, I would bet not more than one or two of them are in use today. These were the dab on kind. If you really want to try this, I would go for the spray type and use some sort of acrylic. The question now becomes, can you make enough profit? Those kits and a block of acrylic isn't that inexpensive. I think the kits are about 7 bucks each and Ed Davidson's bottle stopper blanks sold at AS are about 4. The plus side is that they won't take long to make and you would not have to apply a finish the the acrylic.
Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I make the sprayers out of cherry and walnut and I do them in a mushroom
shape. Throw a quarter ounce of patchoulli in them and put them in a
head shop. They go like crazy at $24 around the holidays.
Excuse the poor turning and finishing, these were some of the first things
I ever turned. It seemed to me that turning something bigger would be
easier than something small. At the time, a power screwdriver was high tech
to me..

Attachments

• OliveMush.jpg
    OliveMush.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 161
  • walnutMush.jpg
    walnutMush.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF1901.jpg
    DSCF1901.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 144

mick

Jim, I've never tried the perfume sprays but I make a LOT of the perfume applicators and sell them for $25 a pop. This seems to be a good price point whenever someone is looking for a gift. At our recent 5 day show I took 40 in different acrylics, both home brews and commercial. I sold 2/3's of them. Even had ladies come back rom last year to buy more! At a show we did last month one lady bought 5 for gifts and another bought 4. I always make several slimlines and Euros to match and offer these as sets. They've always sold good and a lot of ladies seem to like the idea of having them match. I use bright colors and unique shapes on the perfumes enhancing the idea of a one of a kind gift. I also include a small eyedropper and detailed instructions on how to fill them. The only problem I've ever had are people handling them and the tip getting dirty. I solved this by ordering extra tips from Berea so now I replace the tips if someone has dirtied it up.
BTW you asked about better kits: If you decide to make the applicator I'd use the chrome plating as opposed to gold since they will be carried in a purse and you don't want the gold wearing off.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Interesting, I made the sprayers, 6 or so, years back, and they sell about one per year. Still have one around, but then I do only shows and do not bring them to beauty shops (maybe I should).

Top Bottom