Perfect Fit Tenon Bushing Stuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I just turned a PF and can't get the tenon bushing to come off the brass tube. Picture attached. I've tried gripping it with my hand and using pliers to try and twist it off, with no success. Any suggestions on how I can get it off without ruining the blank? I usually score the tube with abrasive tape before sliding the bushing on the tube prior to turning. This time I didn't. Lesson learned. Thanks.

John

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ttpenman

My technique is to grip the bushing with pliers from the end and rock back and forth. Do it slow. Has always worked for me.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

KenV

John

It is easy to get a small burr raised on the outside edge of the tube. Your abrasive process step rounds that edge over and avoids the burr. I put on the mag-eyes and use a sharp pointed exacto blade to scrape down the burr. Then it is easier to get back off.

Great hardware with the perfect fit. Smooth like greased glass.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had the same problem--now when I turn off the material for the "tenon", I also use the parting tool to take off a little brass--makes the fit a little "looser".

FWIW,
Ed

magpens

Perfect Fit Tenon Bushing - Why Use It ?

Please, someone, explain to me why and how you use the tenon bushing. . I have made Perfect Fits and never used the tenon bushing. . In fact, as I read them, the Berea instructions make no reference to the tenon bushing. . So, following the instructions, I just measure 1 7/8" from the clip end and cut the tenon. . You can even go a bit more than 1 7/8" ... it's not critical.

Oh, I think I get it ! . You put the tenon bushing on after you cut the tenon. . Then you turn the blank down to the size of the tenon bushing. Is that right ? :rolleyes::redface:

But I always cut the tenon *after* I have turned the blank to size.

I guess I really don't get it. . What *is* the purpose of the tenon bushing ? . Maybe in the finishing process ?

Last edited:

KenV

Mal

The bushing has value for me in that it protects the nice crisp edge from being rounded over in sanding and finishing processes. An easy insurance policy

jcm71

Mal,
I don't cut a tenon. I make sure the end of the blank is square with my drilled hole and only insert 1 7/8 inches into the blank when gluing. Before turning I clean up any residual glue on the brass tube and lightly sand with abrasive ribbon. I then slide the tenon bushing on the brass when I turn. This time I neglected to use the abrasive ribbon and the bushing stuck. Why cut a tenon when you don't have to? I agree that the bushing is not necessary. You can successfully turn the upper barrel to the correct diameter using calipers.

Top Bottom