Perfect?? Fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I just started making the perfect fit convertible from Berea, largely based on the great comments some of you (Griz & others) have made about it.

Now, having sold a few this weekend, I have a question. Is the top supposed to be removed to access the transmission to replace a refill? Or, am I assembling incorrectly? I can deal with either answer, but if the top has to come off, I need to make a quick "hand-out" to go with the pen. Please advise if you have designed options.

Thanks,

ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Ed, I'm not sure what you mean by "come off", but it simply unscrews like most other Parker style twist pens. Change the refill and screw the upper barrel back on.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Billy,

I was unclear-sorry. When I turn the top counterclockwise, the plastic transmission does not unscrew, the top "free-wheels". So, I have to take off the upper tube (and attached wood/plastic) to get to the transmission, then remove it.

Why does my top "free-wheel"? What have I done incorrectly? (I know, you weren't there to watch me Screw it up, how in the heck are you supposed to tell me what I did???!!! But, if anyone else has done likewise, maybe I can get direction?????)

Thanks, ed

Now you have me wondering, Ed. I've done about 6 and thought I was following the directions ok. If I twist the top the tranny does not unscrew - I have to pull off the top like a slim-line; then unscrew the tranny to get at the refill. I thought that's the way it's supposed to work. Am I doing something wrong?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

I know you have a hand-out for any occasion (that is a compliment), have you designed one to tell customers about this little quirk. If so, may I use?

My engineering-drawing skills are limited and so is my time (next show starts Wed). Thanks for any input.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Ed old pal that fact that it pulls off I think may be why they call it the "perfect Fit.
It does not have the inherant problems like their American Flatop.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Tom,

I know you have a hand-out for any occasion (that is a compliment), have you designed one to tell customers about this little quirk. If so, may I use?

My engineering-drawing skills are limited and so is my time (next show starts Wed). Thanks for any input.
Sorry Ed, I don't, but I make it a point to educate every customer as to how to put a new refill in their pen....

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
<br />...When I turn the top counterclockwise, the plastic transmission does not unscrew, the top "free-wheels"... Why does my top "free-wheel"? What have I done incorrectly?...

The lower barrel <u>is</u> meant to twist counter-clockwise , separating the two barrels for the refill to be replaced. I find the dimensions of the kit to be particularly important. If the transmission doesn't seat fully there is not sufficient friction to eliminate the free-wheeling. As little as 1/32" can make all the difference. I've kissed the brass a little agressively in barrel trimming and had the exact problem you describe. I solved it with a fiber washer, but was unhappy with the look so that one became a "beater" for my grand daughter.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
<br />Are the instructions for this kit on-line?

(Not at Berea or Arizona Silhouette, that I can find)
With the exception of the latest handful of new kits made by Berea, which have instructions posted at www.arizonasilhouette.com , the other Berea kit instructions are not on the internet. I think Berea is having their website re-written as you read this, but I'll put a call in to them and see if they will give permission to host the instructions on the IAP or on my website (if necessary). It may take a day or two, since I owe them some pictures of a special project I've been working on for them. As for my number of posts, I think it better reflects my expertise! [:p]

alamocdc

Now, I'm worried. I haven't tried to unscrew ALL of my PFs, but I guess I'll now have to check all I have in stock to see if any have that problem. Thanks for the heads up on the cause, Lou!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I've kissed the brass a little agressively in barrel trimming and had the exact problem you describe. I solved it with a fiber washer, but was unhappy with the look so that one became a "beater" for my grand daughter.

Lou,

Let me assure you I would never kiss the brass (unless the colonel was female and a "Looker").

Now, seriously, THANKS. It is distinctly possible I trimmed off some brass. But, I assume we are talking about the upper tube-if the upper tube is short, shouldn't the "lock" with the transmission be too TIGHT, and therefore, the top not seat DOWN far enough? This would create a gap at the centerband-that I could understand. HOW AM I MISSING THE POINT- I FEEL DUMMMMMMBBBBBB![:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]

Rudy Vey

<br />I just started making the perfect fit convertible from Berea, largely based on the great comments some of you (Griz & others) have made about it.

Now, having sold a few this weekend, I have a question. Is the top supposed to be removed to access the transmission to replace a refill? Or, am I assembling incorrectly? I can deal with either answer, but if the top has to come off, I need to make a quick "hand-out" to go with the pen. Please advise if you have designed options.

Thanks,

ed

You are right, the top must be pulled off - which is easily done. Then you unscrew the top part of the black plastic transmission and take the refill out. When ever I sell one of those pens (and for me the most selling argument is the chance to exchange the refill for a lead pencil) I carefully explain the way of changing to the buyer. It is actually pretty simple. And since I normally toss in a pencil "refill" , I get most likely a deal done.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ok, now I know I'm not the woodworker/metalworker/penmaker that many of you are, but why in the world would you think the transmission should be yanked out in order to replace the refill? It seems to me that the only logical design is for the transmission to remain in the upper barrel when you unscrew the two barrels. That way the refill simply slides out and a fresh one slides back into place, then the barrels are screwed back together. Here's a picture of how my Perfect Fits come apart.

2005111502533_PerfectFitOpen.jpg
<br />

Am I doing this wrong?

BTW, Ed, I've shortened both tubes a bit too agressively. If the upper tube is too short, the refill becomes too tight to turn. If the lower tube is too short, the refill extends too far. Heck, I haven't mad ALL of the mistakes yet, but I'm working on them! [8D]

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Ok, now I know I'm not the woodworker/metalworker/penmaker that many of you are, but why in the world would you think the transmission should be yanked out in order to replace the refill? It seems to me that the only logical design is for the transmission to remain in the upper barrel when you unscrew the two barrels. That way the refill simply slides out and a fresh one slides back into place, then the barrels are screwed back together. Here's a picture of how my Perfect Fits come apart.

2005111502533_PerfectFitOpen.jpg
<br />

Am I doing this wrong?

BTW, Ed, I've shortened both tubes a bit too agressively. If the upper tube is too short, the refill becomes too tight to turn. If the lower tube is too short, the refill extends too far. Heck, I haven't mad ALL of the mistakes yet, but I'm working on them! [8D]

You can do it both ways, either unscrew or take the upper part off to change the refill. Both ways work. The original question, as far as I remember clearly asked if the top has to be removed to access the transmission to change a refill.

alamocdc

I'm w/you Lou. I just checked my current stock of assembled PFs and only had 2 of 7 that wouldn't unscrew. Upon closer inspection, the twist mechanisms in the 2 that wouldn't unscrew were simply over tightened. I loosened them, snugged them back up and put the caps back on. Now all 7 unscrew like they should. Whew! Y'all had me going there for a while.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
FWIW
I have been making the PF for about a year.I chose them because of the problems with the Flat tops.
I have checked most that I have already assembled and they "free wheel" when tring to unscrew the tops.
I am hesitant to use glue on the transmission.
In the event the transmission goes belly up there is a problem
in repacing the part.
If a customer cannot figure out that the top needs to come off revealing the tranmission, sell them a crayon.
( remember to tell them to scrape the paper back ro reveal new wax}
[:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One other possibility: I have Berea's guage for the upper tube material length, but I am chicken. So, I usually DON'T turn off as much as they suggest for the centerband. Of course, this makes the upper section somewhat (usually about 1/32") longer to reach the insert that goes through the top (clip end). If this is the part that drives the transmission, as I think it is, perhaps it needs to seat more firmly. Although, the pens do drive to extend the pen point, so it seems it must be seated.

I looked at the instructions last night in my shop and there is no information on how it "should" work.

At least I don't seem to be the ONLY one who has been confused!!!

wayneis

I tell my customers to unscrew it to replace the refill. My worry is the fiddlers who always have to fiddle with something, you tell them that the top pulls off then they fiddle around pulling the top off and putting it back on and then the next thing that you know the plastic wears and the top doesn't fit tight because the fiddlers were farting around and broke the darn thing. GUESS who they come to mad at because the top just sits there and spins. Of course they don't tell you that they were fiddleing and farting around with it, to them it must be a problem with the part so now you need to fix it. Think about that.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom