The perfect Click pen.........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
doesn't seem to exist. At least I can't find it. I want:

*Solid & smooth click mechanism

*Blk. Ti or Gunmetal. NO black chrome as on the front section of most all Sierras. A small amount of chrome would be OK. No gold.

*No longer than 5.25" long

Any suggestions?

Thanks inadvance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

I found this photo on Etsy. Does anyone know what kit these are?

Attachments

• il_fullxfull.1200141160_ay5f.jpg
    il_fullxfull.1200141160_ay5f.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 329

budnder

I agree - I wish there was a bit more variety for click pens... seems like most people I know prefer them to twist.

I'll throw a couple things out there, though I suspect you've probably looked at them and ruled them out:

Long Clicker in Black TI - https://www.exoticblanks.com/Long-Clicker-Pen-Kit-Black-Ti.html - Works really well on certain types of busy blanks, but on others I find it a bit lacking in style.

Long Boy in TI - https://www.exoticblanks.com/Long-Boy-Button-Click-GunMetal.html - Easy to make as a single body if you prefer. Has a very "soft" click. The roundness of the hardware ends just never really worked for me, style wise.

Chilton comes in gun metal - https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/products/chilton-clickpen-component-set?variant=20277645766 - Never made one, so can't speak to the reliability or feel of the mechanism, or how long it is.

Cigar clickers don't seen to be available anywhere except in bulk from China or Taiwan. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do that custom with a regular Cigar kit and that's on my list of things to try.

Last edited:

Ambidex

Let us know if you get any of these and your opinion of the quality? I'm also looking for better clickers as a LOT of my customers prefer them.

mbroberg

I agree - I wish there was a bit more variety for click pens... seems like most people I know prefer them to twist.

I'll throw a couple things out there, though I suspect you've probably looked at them and ruled them out:

Long Clicker in Black TI - https://www.exoticblanks.com/Long-Clicker-Pen-Kit-Black-Ti.html - Works really well on certain types of busy blanks, but on others I find it a bit lacking in style.

Long Boy in TI - https://www.exoticblanks.com/Long-Boy-Button-Click-GunMetal.html - Easy to make as a single body if you prefer. Has a very "soft" click. The roundness of the hardware ends just never really worked for me, style wise.

Chilton comes in gun metal - https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/products/chilton-clickpen-component-set?variant=20277645766 - Never made one, so can't speak to the reliability or feel of the mechanism, or how long it is.

Cigar clickers don't seen to be available anywhere except in bulk from China or Taiwan. There's a tutorial somewhere on how to do that custom with a regular Cigar kit and that's on my list of things to try.

Thanks. Had not looked at the Chilton, I should add to my description that I want a single body pen. Long Clicker and (I suspect) the Long Boy are both over 5.25" long.

magpens

You're really restricting yourself by the 5.25" length.

My go-to clicker is the Sierra click in a nice plating - just about any plating without the black front ... but it is longer.

I also like the Long Boy, but there again ... over your length.

For a shorter length, try the Sierra Elegant Beauty (or maybe the Elegant Sierra).

Also check on the Aero Click (but I don't like the shape of the button).

Last edited:

mbroberg

You're really restricting yourself by the 5.25" length.

My go-to clicker is the Sierra click in a nice plating - just about any plating without the black front ... but it is longer.

I also like the Long Boy, but there again ... over your length.

For a shorter length, try the Sierra Elegant Beauty (or maybe the Elegant Sierra).

Also check on the Aero Click (but I don't like the shape of the button).

I could live with a little longer, but Sierra is only 5.25, so is Virage. Of course they do not have click buttons sticking out the top of them. I just measured a Sierra Click at 5.75. I will probably have to do some compromising.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
By far the best click pens are kitless and use the Schmidt click mechanism with an easy flow refil. It is super smooth and easily adaptable to many styles. My favorite is made with a piece if 3/8 aluminum tube. No need to drill, just tap. For these I use a space pen clip. You can make bigger and use othe clips but then need to drill before tap. Many materials work for this. I make the nibs from aluminum but have done them with corian, ebonite, and bronze. All can be done on wood lathe if no metal lathe available. You won't be sorry going down this path. I've made many and everyone loves them.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 239

magpens

I appreciate your post, Bruce, and I am sure others as well as Mike will also.

I would be interested in learning where you purchase your Schmidt click mechanisms, please. . Thanks.

duncsuss

I appreciate your post, Bruce, and I am sure others as well as Mike will also.

I would be interested in learning where you purchase your Schmidt click mechanisms, please. . Thanks.
Usually from Richard Greenwald. I think some others carry as well. Google may come up with some others more local to you.

I've bought them from Richard Greenwald and also from Milans Pen Parts.

stuckinohio

Mike,

I am surprised you are asking this question when you know the kitless clicker is the best there is! (I may be biased...)

Your kitless clicker was awesome, as well as the clicker you sent me to replace mine!

mbroberg

Mike,

I am surprised you are asking this question when you know the kitless clicker is the best there is! (I may be biased...)

Your kitless clicker was awesome, as well as the clicker you sent me to replace mine!

Yes, but I am just finishing up a very large order, will possible be starting another soon, so I'm looking for something I can do quickly.

magpens

Last edited:
Top Bottom