Penturning with metal inserts/segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Trey

Hi there!

I have recently seen a number of pens with what appear to be metal inserts/segments and was trying to figure out how they were made? Were I to guess they would be made using the segmenting techniques with some sort of sheet metal like copper. Either that or someone would need to carve crevices into the work and use the powdered metal products I have seen. The questions begin to arise when I try to figure out how to glue them in, and once they are actually glued in, how do you actually turn them? Do you need metal working tools? If you can use your standard HSS tools what does the metal do to the tools? Once you get them turned do you just use a normal CA finish to keep them looking nice?

Any help or pointers that you can provide would be most appreciated!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Trey

I'll head of few other folks off at the pass :wink:.

First, welcome to the Forum - Enjoy!

Second, I've also just started to play with segmenting and am probably only a few weeks ahead of you so you'll get no turning suggestions from me.

Check out the Search function in the BLUE BAR above.
Check out the Library articles.

Both are great tools.

Cwalker935

Does anyone use the copper tape that is sold as a slug barrier for segmenting? I have been thinking about giving that a try.

firewhatfire

laminate them as sheets. you can turn em with HSS tools but I recommend Carbide inserts. be creative and have fun with it. The pen I am currently using has 25 pieces of aluminum in it and 39 pieces of wood.

I get my aluminum form Lowes in 100 sheet packs of 5x7 squares

nanosec12

I have used aluminum and copper...the aluminum I got from soda cans, just make sure to sand off BOTH sided to remove any coatings. The copper I got from Michaels (a craft store) in the section for home made jewelry.

I trim the material to a bit oversize and then drill it (using a metal drill) then just insert it in between the other materials. Once I get a nice fitup, I take it apart again and glue as normal, with thick CA between the metal and whatever is on either side of it, then clamp it together while the glue cures.

After that, I use a cheap pair of scissors to trim the metal down as far as I can, then turn as normal. I do use carbide tools, but many others use HSS tools. The copper and aluminum are much softer than the HSS but may require more frequent honing/sharpening, however YMMV

Try Try Try, post results good and bad, be safe, and Have FUN

Top Bottom