Penturning history

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

Who first sold kits for pen turners and when did that happen? I know that when I was in college someone gave me a hand turned pen/pencil set for Christmas, that must have been 1968 or 1969, it was purchased at a gallery store in Columbus, Ohio.

Can someone fill me in on the history of development of the supply lines for pen kits?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Did I ever mention, after I invented the fountain pen, I invernted to kit pen :D

Seriuosly, I have no idea, good question, I was around when CSU upgraded to the Statesmen in about 2004, that was a big leap at the time.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gerry,

I can't assure you they were first, but the predecessor of Rockler - the Woodworkers Store (?) was VERY active in the early 90's,

I think Russ Fairfield was among the pioneers, of course, Dick Sing was writing all the "how-to's" - if you are looking to write a "history", I will be happy to help find info. (Also the owner of CSUSA was in the early adapters, as well as Jim - owner of Berea).

This is a "stream of consciousness" writing, sorry if it doesn't "flow".:D

curlyjoe

Nick Davidson the founder and president of Craft U.K.(not assocatied with Craft USA ) was the first person to make the connection between finished wood pens made in Taiwan and a kit for woodturners.

Tom McMillan

According to the book: Turning Pens and Pencils by Kip Christensen and Rex Burningham the first kits started around 1989 in the UK by Craft Supplies Ltd as has been said. In the US it is said Craft Supplies USA a kit was introduced in 1990.

I first started making some pens in the early 1990's and purchased from Craft Supplies, Hut (Tom Hutchinson owned it then and always enjoyed visiting on the phone)--he wrote some of the instructions for the kits he sold then. I also remember buying from Woodcraft fairly early. Another company I purchased from as I recall was called Bonham's---can't recall now exactly where they were located, and not sure if they're still in business?

Top Bottom