Penturning/Display contest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

daledut

I know that the President has just issued a plea for participation, but I wanted to add mine to it.

There are several persons that have made and submitted some nice work. But, without some more participation, their work may never be judged at all.

We still need 4 entries in the Novice category and 4 in the Advanced, in order to meet the minimums.

I have seen many wonderful pens displayed on this site, so I know the talent exists to fill out these categories.

Please don't let this contest die. Get your submissions in before time runs out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I will make another attempt to enter. My problem is in making the time to make a stand. When I first thought of this - it seemed really interesting. Then I realized I have nothing to do with the stand after the contest!

I don't sell my pens anywhere other than the one art gallery (and they don't want the stand) and don't display my pens at home or at work. Still - it is a way to support this organization and I can eventually find someone to give it to.

This is not meant to be posted as an excuse. I am submitting my feelings on this in so that others who might feel similarly may decide to get involved as well.

daledut

Okay, come on guys and gals. I don't see any more postings in the contest. Lets fill out the last 2 categories.

I intend to bump this topic every day until the contest minimums are met. Look at it as a prize just for entering.... you get to shut me up [:p].

YoYoSpin

If this goes like the last contest, held on the Yahoo bottle stopper group site last spring, about half of the entries will come in during the last week. I think lots of people believe that they will have an advantage by not disclosing their design ideas till the last minute.

I'm betting that we end up with at least 60 entries.

daledut

Actually, I was a bit surprised that the entries were displayed like they are. I don't have any particular objection to it, but would have figured all entries would be kept under wraps to avoid sizing up the competition.

jbjwood2000

Have got pens done, started stand last night. This is busy time for craft shows around here. About 8 in 5 weeks, just 2 the rest of the year. Just a suggestion, but maybe the next contest can be other than Nov. or Dec. Hope to have entry in by next week. Good Luck to ALL!

G

As usual,I'll look at things another way.
I have already seen a few entries that were VERY similar to what I had in mind thus I have not submitted anything.
I keep going back to the drawing board.
Also if the diplay is not as important as stated why was it included in the contest?
Maybe in the future a separate classification for the display?

daledut

Lou,
I believe that your comments about the display being less important is contrary to the original stated purpose of the contest. I went back and looked through many of the original posts on the contest and the display IS an important part of the contest. Otherwise, like Eagle said, why include it.

jbjwood2000,
I too was wondering if I would get my entry done on time because of other Christmas turning, but in all fairness, the contest did start in july. I did not have to wait until the last 3 weeks of the contest to do something. But that is how procrastination works isn't it [:I]..... Hey I'm on a roll, I just completed a lighting project that my wife wanted when we moved in 3.5 years ago.[:0]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Sorry for the assumptions. I thought I'd read and understood the rules, but clearly I didn't. Sorry for the misinformation. And Ed, could you kindly clarify judging criteria for us all? Thanks!

YoYoSpin

Lou, sure...no problem.

There will be five judges: myself, Scott Greaves (penturners.org and IAP founder and darn nice guy), Joe Herrmann (Woodturning Design magazine editor, career woodturning teacher and super nice guy), Rex Burningham (co-author of "Turning Pens and Pencils", member of the Craft Supplies management team, frequent professional demonstrator and Provo Woodturning Symposium promoter), and Kip Christensen (co-author of "Turning Pens and Pencils", BYU faculty member, professional demonstrator, major contributor to the Provo Symposium and superb box maker). All of these folks are accomplished turners, collectively with over 100 years of turning experience between them.

This contest is the second in a series of what I had hoped would be a twice a year affair, where new ideas and turning techniques are displayed, with the aim of inspiring all who participate, and even those who only watch, to new heights in their personal level of confidence and skill. I know from my own experience that inspiration is a valuable and often illusive thing, and one that needs to be nurtured at every opportunity. That’s why the entry photos have been posted for everyone to see, as soon as each entry is made. We felt that there was no need to keep them a secrete...in fact, we’re proud of everyone’s efforts here, and believe that all who have participated in the process deserve maximum exposure.

Now, on to the judging process...

The rules state: “The contest is intended to inspire you to design and make an innovative, interesting and original Writing Instrument and Display set. The design of this set is completely up to you and your imagination.â€

In my view, this means that the “setâ€, and not the individual pieces, are the basis of what will be judged. Beyond that, each of the five judges will be completely free to rank and score the entries as they see fit.

The judging process will work like this: The contest will close 30 November. On December 1st, I'll publish an Excel spreadsheet and instructions to the other four judges. Each judge will have the next five days to view the entries and make their inputs by assigning a numerical score (1 to 100) to each entry, filling in the spreadsheet and then emailing it back to me. I'll then collate everyone's inputs and come up with a consolidated ranking, showing the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in each of the three skill categories. Then, I'll email the results back to the judges, who will have one final opportunity to review their scores. Once that's done, and no later than 24 December, we'll publish the results on the penturners.org site, notify each winner, notify the companies who have pledged prizes of who the winners are, and write a short article on this little adventure for the next issue of Woodturning Design magazine. That’s it...

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
That clears up all of my questions! If anyone still has more, I'm sure Ed will answer them. All that's left now is to participate. BTW, I sure wouldn't blame Ed for only holding one contest a year unless we have a lot more entries..nudge..nudge. [8D]

Darley

Can someone tell me how many people can entrer per category? I got 2 pens done but I'm in short of time for the stand or other to present the pens, I will try to do my best as I'm very tie up with my job, but I keep [:D]

Serge

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The complete rules can be found here. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=526
For further clarification, I'd suggest an email to YoYoSpin (Ed D). [8D]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hey Ed, and Lou, you guys are great! My drill press died two days ago, but I am pressing on. My entry in Intermediate should be in by the weekend. I signed my son up to the group yesterday, and his novice entry will also be in by the weekend.
Thanks for everything.

William

YoYoSpin

Serge, there are no limits on the number of people who make entries, but only TWO entries may be made per person. If you wish, you may make one entry in each of two skill levels, or two entries in one skill level category.

daledut

Ed,
It wasn't me who asked the question. I knew it would be canceled or extended. That is why I have been pushing to get the minimums, so that everyone who made the effort can have a viable contest.

Gary Max

I am working on my second entry now. It will be done in time but is going to take a couple of days to get the finish on the stand. That will make two for me---oh finished my 30th pen today also.

daledut

Looks like we have hit the minimum in the Advanced catagory... and some pretty awesome entries I might add.

Still need 1 entry in the Novice catagory, don't give up. There is still a week.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I just finished the update and as Dale said, we need just one more novice entry to run the contest in all three categories. I'm sure we'll get that.

Entries received after 8pm Eastern Tuesday (0100 Wed GMT) will not be posted until Sunday the 28th. I'm leaving town to visit relatives and I will have very limited access to a computer. (But hopefully plenty of access to turkey and pie [:)])

Happy Thanksgiving to all you pen turners who celebrate it!

paleydp

Have been waiting for inspiration to strike, then got sidetracked by taking a bowl turning class and having my energies redirected. I'll come up with something before the deadline.

knottyharry

I will have two entries in the novice catagory. I'm waiting on the finishes to dry now. Then I'll get the info sent out.
I do have one question for you.
What is the determining factor of which class you can submit entries in. I have only been doing this for about 5 months so obviously i'm going for novice. I might consider one for intermediate.
But who and what determines where you enter?
Thanks
Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom