Penturning Design & Craftsmanship Contest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

Some of you may be familiar with the Wine Bottle Stopper design contest we’re having at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stopper/ . The intent is to have a differently themed contest each quarter, sponsored by several woodturning supply retailers and the new Woodturning Design magazine. The stopper contest ends on June 30, so it’s time to start thinking about the organization and theme of our second contest in the series. There are several ways to get this going, and I’d like to get your thoughts on the subject, so post your comments here.

The theme: Pen turning design and craftsmanship.

Place: Penturners.org (The IAP website), or...a Yahoo website that I’d set up specifically for Woodturning Contests.

Rules: Along the same line as those posted for the stopper contest.

Timing: October 31 2004 deadline for photo submissions.

Prizes: Gift certificates from TBD turning supply retailers, and the winner’s work featured in a 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine.

Winners: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners selected by a group of three or four acknowledged Master Turners, based on TBD subjective criteria.

Best regards,
Ed D.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leenollie

This is very interesting...I've got a design percolating in my cranium that I'd love to submit to this contest. How can I get more information from you about this?

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

Scott

Hi Ed,

Please know that we would gladly sponsor and host this contest here at Penturners.org!

One of the things I like about the stopper contest is that it is for a stopper AND HOLDER. It would be neat if we could have the pen contest for a pen AND something else. Maybe a pencil. Maybe a pen box.

YoYoSpin

Paul, all donations and prize pledges are welcomed. I currently have prize pledge/sponsorship requests out to several turning supply retailers, and hope to have a complete list of all the goodies we'll give away by mid-June.

As a reference point, the stopper contest prizes are: a $50.00 gift certificate generously donated by Ryan Polokoff at http://www.woodturningz.com and $25.00 in gift certificates generously donated by Bill Baumbeck ( http://www.arizonasilhouette.com). There will also be a couple of 5" X 5" X 2" pink ivory bowl blanks that will go to the first and second place winners. In addition, the contest winner will be invited to write an article about their creation for the Fall 2004 or Winter 2005 issue of Woodturning Design magazine. If the winner accepts this invitation, he or she will not only get some tremendous recognition in our woodturning community, but will get some hard cash for having their article published in the magazine.

Daniel

I also have an idea or two. are descriptions and explinations of designs allowed?
I have one that might leave others lost without a little tool history.

Scott

Hi Ed,

Yes, "Pen and Display System" sounds great! Just let me know when you want to kick this off, and we'll get started!

Scott.

Kurt Aebi

The main reason, I was thinking of the "Class" system was that there i sno way I could even hold a candle to most of youguys, but at a novice level, I think I could compete and in competing in something like this would definitely encourage me to gain better skills and maybe with any luck move up the ladder.

Maybe the prizes could be bigger for upper levels and at the novice level be tools or other stuff that we will need to get better at this extremely gratifying and fun endeavor. What I mean is like mandrels for 10mm pens or something like that which us who are starting with 7mm slimlines would need to "advance" to harder to make pens. Higher quality chisels to replace the HF one's most of us start with. Pen & Pencil Kits, and items like this or gift certificates. I think yousee where I am going with this.

This really sounds fun and I really want to be able participate and have a chance, rather than have "it" handed to me due to my lack of experience.

YoYoSpin

Kurt, those are all excellent points and deserve consideration. The only thing that might hold us back on doing a multi-skill-level contest is the number of prizes we have to give away. So far, I have three pledges from retailers and manufacturers. We'd probably need around 6-10 pledges of items or gift certificates to cover a three level contest. Stand by, and I'll keep all of you posted on the vendor response to our prize pledge requests...other ideas?

pecartus

Ed or anyone;

Can Executive Desk Sets be considered display (without the magnifying glass and letter opener)? How do I get a copy of the rules? I would like to enter if possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom