Penturner's Rendezvous Pen Contest Approaching

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

I don't remember seeing anything posted on the IAP forum concerning this contest, so I thought I'd mention it. Hope I'm not out of bounds for doing this, but, thought some here would want to know about it.

The 3rd Annual Penturner's Rendezvous is approaching in a few months. Unfortunately, with a new job, I won't be able to attend, but, I can send representations of my work to the contest which I'm still considering at this point. Anyway, this event draws several hundred woodturners from near and far---and this is our opportunity to show them what penturner's can do. I'm thankful to those who have promoted penturning by their willingness to organize this event.

Anyway, for more information here's a couple of links:
http://tinyurl.com/4o9nf
(Scroll down to Pen Display & Contest)
and another link gives more details for the contest:
http://tinyurl.com/4vqvf

The deadline for entries to the contest is May 31---so, hope to see many entries. There are prizes too, so check that out---and best of luck to all who enter!!!!:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Thanks for posting this Tom, it really needs more play. I sent one last year. There were a great bunch of entries. I hope to attend this year. From what I hear, entries are slow coming, so don't wait!

Just wondering, who draws the boundry lines ? LOL

ilikewood

I hope to go this year too! It's only 3 hours drive, so I really don't have a whole lot of excuses.

I entered last year, but probably won't this year. Definitely a little frustrated with the judging...not because mine didn't win, but for other reasons.

Tom McMillan

Gee, Bill, I do wish I could make it---if for no other reason than to meet you---and, of course, other contributors. Sorry to hear about your frustrations about the contest. I didn't enter in the past.

My main reason for entering, though, would be to show the woodturning community that penturning is an important area of turning---and to continue to attempt to overcome any downplaying of it's value in the turning world. At this point, I don't have a work that I'm totally set on sending----but, I will be trying to think of what I could contribute.

ilikewood

Tom, I pass through your area once or twice a year on my way up to Olympia where my family lives. I'll make it a priority to stop by some time! By the way, I have tubed down the Washougal before and tromped up in the woods around your area (eagle creek OR, etc). Love it up there (I'm a Puyallup WA native :)

Tom McMillan

Yes, Bill, I think I remember you telling me that---my Cousin used to live in Puyallup---I had a good college friend from Sumner (he's a high school principal in small town in Idaho now)---give a hollar when you'll be passing through---.

Darley

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />I don't remember seeing anything posted on the IAP forum concerning this contest, so I thought I'd mention it. Hope I'm not out of bounds for doing this, but, thought some here would want to know about it.

The 3rd Annual Penturner's Rendezvous is approaching in a few months. Unfortunately, with a new job, I won't be able to attend, but, I can send representations of my work to the contest which I'm still considering at this point. Anyway, this event draws several hundred woodturners from near and far---and this is our opportunity to show them what penturner's can do. I'm thankful to those who have promoted penturning by their willingness to organize this event.

Anyway, for more information here's a couple of links:
http://tinyurl.com/4o9nf
(Scroll down to Pen Display & Contest)
and another link gives more details for the contest:
http://tinyurl.com/4vqvf

The deadline for entries to the contest is May 31---so, hope to see many entries. There are prizes too, so check that out---and best of luck to all who enter!!!![:)]

Tell me Tom in the past 3 years of pen display did he have some one from Australia in ? I would be interested to put 2 or 3 pens.

What do you think .

Serge

woodscavenger

We had to drive to Twin Falls to find a descent restuarant for prom night. We used to drop kitchen matches from the Snake River bridge and watch them spontaneously light up on their way down. I miss skiing on the Snake! Where do you have to get your wood from around there?

ilikewood

Where do I get my wood from? Ah come on Shane...you want me to reveal my sources?[:D]

Actually, I trade an awful lot, and I have friends that can get woods for me at much lower costs. I travel overseas a couple of times a year too, so I always take an empty suitcase to fill while I am there.

Tom McMillan

Hi Serge---Wish I knew the answer to your question. I haven't been involved with this in the past, so I really don't know all who entered and where they were from.

Go to the second link, and near the bottom of it is a contact email for questions concerning the contest. I believe it is Kurt Hertzog who apparently is the one who does some hard work to set this all up.
I think it would be great to have entries from you. I do think it's up the the person entering to pay for the postage for both ways, but Kurt can give you the best info.

Darley

Originally posted by Tom McMillan
<br />Hi Serge---Wish I knew the answer to your question. I haven't been involved with this in the past, so I really don't know all who entered and where they were from.

Go to the second link, and near the bottom of it is a contact email for questions concerning the contest. I believe it is Kurt Hertzog who apparently is the one who does some hard work to set this all up.
I think it would be great to have entries from you. I do think it's up the the person entering to pay for the postage for both ways, but Kurt can give you the best info.

Thanks Tom I will contact them and let you know on this thread.

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom