Penturners Live Voice chat tonight !

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Penturners voice chat tonight. Anthony will be moderating.
Starting topic, will be fountain pens & nibs, after that, anything goes. Here are the times.

CHAT TIMES:
3:00 p.m. Honolulu time
6:00 p.m. Pacific Standard Time
7:00 p.m. Arizona time
7:00 p.m. Mountain Standard
8:00 p.m. Central Standard
9:00 p.m.Eastern Standard
9:00 p.m.Toronto Canada
1:00 p.m. Wednesday, Sydney Australia
4:00 a.m. Wednesday, South Africa

INSTRUCTIONS:
To participate, you need to download and install Paltalk from www.paltalk.com
Freeware version suffices. You should have a microphone hooked up. Register the
Paltalk software and verify your audio settings in the software. Log onto
PalTalk at a time when the chat room is open and search in the "Miscellaneous"
groups category for "Penturners Chat". (You will only see it listed when a
moderator has opened the chat room.)
You can also participate by typing text replies and/or just listen in.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Originally posted by coach
<br />I always have a game when you are in charge Anthony! Well, I guess I'll heckle you next time![:D]

Coach, I am in charge of nothing, [:D] People in charge of something, get paid [:)]

Now go win one for the Dego [:D]

PenWorks

I am not sure on the MP3, I know Mike was looking for the chat when Russ was taking about finishing. Not sure if he ever found it or if it was ever recorded.

Dario

Steve,

Since I haven't joined in any voice chat yet...I would definitely be interested on a MP3 transcript if it ever becomes available.

Anthony, I think Steve's question is 2 pronged. One, he is asking if it is okay to record the chat or (two) if it is already being done.

PenWorks

I don't see why it can't be recorded. If he wants to and make it available that should be okay. The transcript from the typed word can be save somehow as well, but that is ussually just bad jokes [:D] and some links that get posted.

vick

Anthony,
I never get a chance to join the chat but if someone wants to record it I would be willing to host the files on my site.

DocStram

Dang .... every Tuesday night I get disappointed that I can't listen in to the live chat. I have a hearing loss (OK, actually two hearing losses, one in each ear! a little joke there). I have a terrible time listening to phone conversations ... and especially cell phone calls. When I watch tv I always keep closed caption on. Is there some way of reading the scripts from the Live Voice Chat?

M

Mudder

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Penturners voice chat tonight. Anthony will be moderating.
Starting topic, will be fountain pens & nibs, after that, anything goes.

Hmmmm,

you might regret having said that [;)]

dfurlano

Sorry I missed the call.. and I asked for this topic. I was flying home from Boston and I was scheduled to arrive at 6:00pm but I never made it till almost 9:00...[B)]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I listened in on my first chat tonight and it was very educational and enjoyable. Let me tell you, there are some real experts among us. I'd encourage everyone to watch for the next chat announcement and join in!

PenWorks

I found out tonight, that the Penturners Chat cannot be recorded. I believe this has to do with some legal issue about getting everyone's permission prior to recording, and since that will never happen, the sessions will not be able to be recorded. Sorry I did not know this earlier. But recorded or not, it was fun as ussual tonight.

Ron Mc

Anthony,
Thanks for hosting the chat last night. As always I had a great time and learned a great amount.
Talk to you again next week.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Huzzah
<br />Quick question, does anybody record the chat? I did a quick search and found some software for about $11.00 that will record the session into an .mp3 which could be made available for everyone.
I didn't see this topic before the chat. The answer is no, no recording, unless it's a special event. We had one that we recorded, when Mark Gisi was the guest. You can check it out here http://www.mckinneypens.com/Penchat.htm It's on an exception basis. The original idea with spreading hosts from coast to coast was to have a variation in the starting time to allow more people to make it occasionally. For some reason West Coast hosts happen to like an early chat time, while at the other extreme myself on the East coast prefers later - so it seems to fall more or less at the same time every week. Anyway, we discussed recording in the past, and the decision was no, no routine recording.

M

Mudder

<br />I found out tonight, that the Penturners Chat cannot be recorded. I believe this has to do with some legal issue about getting everyone's permission prior to recording, and since that will never happen, the sessions will not be able to be recorded. Sorry I did not know this earlier. But recorded or not, it was fun as ussual tonight.

Actually you would not need to get everyone's permission prior to recording. I'm not sure if it can be done but if there was a statement that popped up when you entered the chat session (much like the rules that pop up now) stating that you are being recorded and another one that pops up from time to time (this would need to be checked out but I believe it is at least once a minute) then you cover yourself legally. When you call for tech support or call your credit card company the recording tells you that your call may be recorded or monitered for quality control purposes.

I have a buddy who works for a branch of the government that records all of their calls and whenever I talk to him there is an audible beep every 15-20 seconds, that is how they are legelly covered. If you ever call the Police i'm sure you also get the beep every few seconds.

For special events, recording would be great. But as a routine I think it would be a RPITA. I would have no problems with it but I also respect the wishes of those who have already decided.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
It's not just legality coming into play. Some people talk different when they are being recorded. It's a CHAT not a seminar. Personally I would not like to see a microphone shoved in my face when I chat with a friend. And the fact that the microphone is a few thousand miles away and invisible doesn't really change that. Anthony must have forgotten that we made the no-routine-recording decision a while ago or he would not have OK'ed it.

I can't prevent anyone from recording, of course, but secret recording is a violation of civil rights, I will not have it distributed. I don't want this to turn into a civil liberties or political discussion - those are the rules, if this is not followed the chats will stop.

Yes, for special guests, we can announce the recording and do it. It would have been nice to record the finishing session with Russ Fairfield (assuming he agreed to it) but that's history. Nobody asked...

coach

Just like Rich said, it is hard to record a "chat" anyway. It would take some of the fun out of it. It is very laid back and educational. I would hate to see that change because someone knows they are being recorded. I have not made it on in quite a while since I have games every Tues. night. It wouldn't be the same to listen to it and not be able to participate, so I'll swing back in after my season. Thanks for having these guys and gals keep up the good work!

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Mudder,
it's not so much a question of covering ourselves legally. This is not being researched by lawyers. It's a chat, and to some people microphone or no microphone makes a difference. When we decide to record a special event, I can modify the welcome message that you see when you get in - that's all the control I have, and I have no problem with that. We would put the fact that it's recorded in the announcement, and there, and as long as host and special guest agree no problem. We don't need a release form ;-)

We tried it before, I got some email later, we decided it's easier not to routinely. That's all.

Every Time I See that you have had a chat I wish I could join, how fun that would be to talk with all of you!!

One day I will get the right gizzmo's I guess...until then I will follow along out here in text land!!

[:)]

its_virgil

I personally contacted PalTalk.com directly(when we first began the chats) to find out how to record a chat session, and I was told that it is against the PalTalk.com site rules to allow recording of PatTalk.com chat sessions.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

<br />I found out tonight, that the Penturners Chat cannot be recorded. I believe this has to do with some legal issue about getting everyone's permission prior to recording, and since that will never happen, the sessions will not be able to be recorded. Sorry I did not know this earlier. But recorded or not, it was fun as ussual tonight.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by scubaman
<br />Mudder,
it's not so much a question of covering ourselves legally. This is not being researched by lawyers. It's a chat, and to some people microphone or no microphone makes a difference. When we decide to record a special event, I can modify the welcome message that you see when you get in - that's all the control I have, and I have no problem with that. We would put the fact that it's recorded in the announcement, and there, and as long as host and special guest agree no problem. We don't need a release form ;-)

We tried it before, I got some email later, we decided it's easier not to routinely. That's all.

Hence my statement:

For special events, recording would be great. But as a routine I think it would be a RPITA. I would have no problems with it but I also respect the wishes of those who have already decided.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I'll spill the beans about something that is vaguely related to chats and might be of interest to some of you. I'm hoping over the next couple months to begin podcasting interviews with some of the well-known penturners on their areas of expertise. I guess it'll be "The Penturning Show" [:D]

I'll be doing the interviews by telephone, and I just had a landline phone installed at my home for this purpose (I was one of those cell-phone only people...) I need to get a couple more pieces of technology in place, line up some interviewees, and figure out how to interview someone, which I've never done.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />What??? You never heard of Voice-over-IP? [:p]
I also switched from cable to DSL, and in this service territory, SBC is not required to offer naked DSL, so of course they don't. To get DSL here you need a voice line. The third party DSL providers don't service us either because SBC's loop charge is higher than their own loop+DSL, so it's impossible to compete. Right down the road, my friends in Verizon territory have a smorgasbord of DSL provider choices.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by jeff
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />What??? You never heard of Voice-over-IP? [:p]
I also switched from cable to DSL, and in this service territory, SBC is not required to offer naked DSL, so of course they don't. To get DSL here you need a voice line. The third party DSL providers don't service us either because SBC's loop charge is higher than their own loop+DSL, so it's impossible to compete. Right down the road, my friends in Verizon territory have a smorgasbord of DSL provider choices.

[}:)] Seems to me you bought the wrong house [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom