Pentel Pencil Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I've read about using a 3/8 inch tranfer punch to put the clip on the pencil. Also some have said they use a 3/8 inch bar with an indentation in the end to slip over the end of the pen. I'm wondering if anyone has another method they use?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Yes - when the clip is removed from the original plastic body, the diameter of the spring is less than 3/8". (Sorry, I don't have one to disassemble for a measurement).

The difficult part of using a transfer punch is actually getting the spring to open up enough to fit over the punch. I lock the punch in a bench vise to that I can use both hands, and use a small screwdriver to pry the ends of the spring open as I force it onto the punch.

Once the clip is on the punch, transferring it to the new pen body isn't all that difficult.

Jolly Red

It is easy to make a tool to help get it on, using a 3/8" dowel or turned rod. Make a taper on one end of the dowel, and a tenon on the other end which will slip into the barrel of the pencil. Slide the clip over the tapered end onto the pencil. Works quite well. I made one out of HDPE which allows it to slide even easier.

Top Bottom