Pentel pencil clip tips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jzerger

I have only made a couple of the pencils using the pentel parts. The hardest part for me has been to put the pentel original "spring" clip on without messing up the finish. Is there an easier way than lots of attempts usually accompanied with some colorful metaphors? I will say that my barrel is typically bigger than the original pencil because of the thinness of the finished barrel. Thanks for any hints or tips.
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

John

I thought colorful language was an ordinary part of pen turning.

The way I've done is it to use a transfer punch with a diameter that matches or is very slightly larger than the finished pencil. I put the clip on the transfer punch, mount the bunch in a bench vise, hold the pencil against the end of the transfer punch, and the slide the clip into position.

Alex D

I do something very similar to Louie, except that I made a tool using a spare tube and a scrap of wood based on the design in the Penturner's Bible by Richard Kleinhenz.

I turned a taper on the wood and glued the end to the tube so that the transition between the two is smoth. The tube is just a bit larger in diameter than my pencils. I don't remember exactly which tube I used but anything that will slip over the pencil barrel will do.

To use it, you use the taper to slide the clip over the tube, then slide the tube over the pencil up to where you want to place the clip. Slide the clip off, and voila! No scratches, no colorful words, easy peasy.

Good luck!

Alex

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've made a few in two pieces with a mortise and tenon joint where the clip goes. If its a tight fit, you can turn as one piece, pull apart, insert clip, reassemble and then glue together. Opens up the possibility for other clips as well.

Top Bottom