Pentel Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Don Ward used to sell them; but I think he is out of that business now. You could contact a company that custom makes step drills; but buying a single bit would be pretty expensive.​

Don has written a tutorial describing how to make a Pentel pencil without the step drill. It is a little involved; but not excessively difficult. Check out the IAP library for the tutorial.

Last edited:

its_virgil

I have no more (pentel) bits and don't have plans to have any more made. They can be purchased for about the same price I had to charge for them.

Here is the link where they can be special made:
http://www.wlfuller.com/html/hss_step_drills.html
You'll need some specifications for the bit. I'll find them and post that info for you. Feel free to PM me if you need more questions answered. If you order one, you may consider doing a group purchase. They get cheaper as more are ordered and I'll bet there are several here who would like to have one. I still get emails from members wanting one.

John Grounds, aka Chuck Key here on IAP, makes and sells a mandrel for making the pencils. I have two of them and making the pencils are soooooo much easier with John's mandrel. Here is his post advertising the mandrel:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/show...=6765#post6765

OK, here is more info on the step bit:
You can email wlfuller your specifications and they will send you a quote. The bits are special order, but they are very easy to work with. To give you a feel for prices, a recent quote had the following prices.

1-2 @ $25.50
3-5 @ $24.10
6-11@ $22.90
12-23@ $21.65

Here are the specs for the bit, in the format that wlfuller requires.

(A) countersink diameter 17/64
(B) pilot diameter 5/32
(C) pilot length 1/2 inch
(D) flute length "long" 3 7/8 inches
(E) overall length "long" 6 1/4 inches
(F) shank diameter same as countersink
(G) 90 degrees
(H) material high speed steel (HSS)
(I) length of shank standard
(J) style style 1

Do a good turn daily!
Don

I would like to try my hand at some Pentel Pencils ..who sells the step drill bit used in making them?

Last edited:

Chuck Key

Top Bottom