pens w/ diamonds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Perl

I was in a fairly upscale jewelry store the other day looking for some ear rings for my wife when the owner of the store noticed the pen I was carrying. He complemented it, and I thought he was just being nice to butter me up for a sale. I told him that I made and he continued on about how much he liked it and asked me if I would be interested in making some to sell in his store. WOW..of course I was interested and he told me to set an appointment to come back the folowing week to meet with him and one of his jewelers. He said that with Christmas coming up he has few things in the store for men and thought they would be very popular. He is interested in possibly adding some stones (diamonds) to either the clip or the centerband or somewhere? This is where I need some advice from some of you on where to start doing this. I am sure I am not the first to do this and would appreciate some suggestions.....thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

The Majestic you could easily take out the crystal and have him replace it with a diamond in the clip. That would be the easiest way to incorporate a diamond in my opinion. Would look good too.

ragz

The Majestic you could easily take out the crystal and have him replace it with a diamond in the clip. That would be the easiest way to incorporate a diamond in my opinion. Would look good too.

That would make for a very exspensive pen since a diamond would be at least a full carat

Perl

The majestic might work, peerhaps could even offer to have a birth stone used instead of a diamond to save costs. My other thought was the European style pen and have a ring made with small diamonds in it to go on the tennon where the centerband goes. Any other thoughts out there?

theoj

HI

my two cents

a diamond sounds pretty exp for a kit pen. maybe a colored stone. maybe mold/cast center band precious metal. ? change up clip. would have to change centerband a little so no infrigement. the designed clip with setting in it sounds like a great idea

the most important questions consignment,buy outright (will prob want a wholesale price, what's your bottom line) , percentage fee? maybe a calibrated cabochon for finial. what happens if your merchandise dissapears? store insurance? nib choices?

food for thought
theo

DrPepper8412

Why not cast in, and place it in the area where the final should be? Like Mont-Blanc does, with their stone floating beautifully in the cap? Congratulations!! That's a wonderful opportunity!

wiset1

Theo brings up a good point...diamonds may be an expensive option. If you work with the staff they might be able to do a gold fill in the void where the crystal is if you use the 22kt gold kit...just an idea.

ragz

No matter which kit or stones used I would bet he'll want his jewellers to set the stones for him. The Majestic is a tricky option especially for diamonds. The stone needed to fill that is easily $600 by itself and if you want to set them yourself you'll likely have to buy them from him first. You might be better off taking a few kits with you for him to select an option and let them design and set stones in either clips, centerbands or finials.

Great opportunity but the logistics of it will definitly need to be worked out.

Perl

Well, I am certainly not up for buying a diamond anywher near the $600 range. My thoughts are that i could provide the pen, he can modify it however he likes, and upon sale of the pen I can get whatever my predetermined price would be. I would be willing to provide a few pens on those terms just to see what happens. Probably will even be able to sell some pens without stones, just as I make them with no further modifications...Thanks again for all your thoughts.

thewishman

Well, I am certainly not up for buying a diamond anywher near the $600 range. My thoughts are that i could provide the pen, he can modify it however he likes, and upon sale of the pen I can get whatever my predetermined price would be. I would be willing to provide a few pens on those terms just to see what happens. Probably will even be able to sell some pens without stones, just as I make them with no further modifications...Thanks again for all your thoughts.

Congrats! That is a big step, your quality must be very good to get such a nice offer.

Just some advice from my experience: Sell him the pens and let him modify them. Things get strange very quickly with ownership of components. You can certainly work together on designs to your mutual benefit. Get your money when you deliver the pens - don't consign pens that will be modified.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
His jeweler will most likely have to make the clip or what ever parts he wants stones set in. The clips in the kits are not condusive to having stones set in them in the traditional methods. As Chris states make the pens get your money and get out.

BlackPearl

As an ex jeweler this is the best way to go.

One other thing, he is responsible for any damage done after delivery.

He will not be just gluing the stones into what is there but making mounts and setting the stones. I would take samples and Kits of the styles you want to talk about. Then leave him any of the components that he might want his staff to make mounts for. He can supply you with clips or center bands with the mountings in them, but no stones, for assembly. Then his technicians will set the stones.

Last edited:

Turned Around

wow, what luck getting that offer. i'll admit, i'm jealous.
the swarofski crystal blank would be cool. time consuming, but might be worth it. if possible, for that, it would be kinda cool to do a patterned blank with the crystals.

the majestic would be good with a ruby, emerald, sapphire, etc. but a diamond would be a little too big and expensive.

bitshird

If yoou are working with his Jeweler, and the person is a competent setter, a few 2 and 3 point stones set into the clip might not be bad, If they have either a plating bath, or a plating pen and you use a Rhodium or Platinum pen then similar size stones could be set on the center band. Most likely where ever the Diamonds are set will require a touch up to the plating, since raising the prongs to set the stones would show the base metal, the clip though might be a problem since I believe most are steel and plated to match the kit. IF the shop is above average the Jeweler could have a new centerband cast out of what ever metal would compliment the rest of the kit. And as far as replacing the stone on a Majestic clip, a Jeweler in Atlanta did replace one, they fabricated a new clip, and set a 1.25 CT Diamond in it for Shaqueal Oneil, Sorry Shack don't know how to spell your name. but he was pretty happy with the pen.

Top Bottom