Pens for servicemen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdcarter

Has anybody else around here participated in the various efforts to make pens for servicemen? There was an article a couple of months ago in one of the woodturning magazines about the Canadian version of the effort, I think.

I thought I would share the following letter I'm enclosing with a pen and phone card to a local kid who grew up in our church, is a friend of my daughter's, and is now serving as a captain in Iraq.

No photo, since there's nothing special about the pen.

---

Dear Michael,

You don’t know me, but I’m Lindsay Carter’s dad. Lindsay was home for the weekend, and we were in church this morning -- in the Veterans Day service, actually -- when Dr. Savage announced your request for phone cards for your men, so I’m enclosing one.

I also wanted to send you something else. Knowing how far away you are from your family and your new bride, I thought you might enjoy something to remind you of home. I turn wooden pens as a hobby, and I made the enclosed one for you from a cherry tree that was taken down last year in Riverchase.

This style is called a “Cigar Pen,†and maybe you’ll think of it as your “victory cigar†as you look forward to the end of your tour. Of course, I hope it will also remind you of the many friends back home who give thanks for your service and pray for your comfort and safe return.

I imagine the pen will take a beating in Iraq, so when you get home, contact me and I’ll make you a new one of your choice that you can enjoy with pride in your civilian job. Then you can retire this one to your box of war mementos to pass onto your children.

As you may have heard, Kevin has purchased and moved in a home in Trussville, and I know he and Lindsay would want me to relay their best wishes.

Be safe. I look forward to meeting you, shaking your hand and thanking you in person.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rod

Yes I am aware of this event. It's how my Wife and I learned to turn pens about 4 years ago.I My wife and I signed up to take pen turning classes at Woodcraft in West Springfield Ma.about a week before the class we were invited to Woodcraft to turn pens for the soldiers.Within a half an hour we had both made a pen.We took the money we deposited on the classes and bought a lathe, and drill press, and the rest is history! Yesterday my Wife made one pen, I made two. I went back today and made 10 more. The Air National Guard had the Color Guard there when we started, as well as news coverage. It was a great time, for a worth while cause. Rod

Russianwolf

I sent twenty pens to the Freedom Pens project. I'm not close enough to participate in the turn-a-thons that some of the locations host, but I enjoy doing it on my own.

Of the twenty I have sent out I did receive an email back from a soldier thanking me on behalf of her and her unit. It brought a very warm spot to my heart.

broitblat

I've not participated in any of the turning events, but a few friends and I did send off our "21 pen salute" to the freedom pens project. I think it may be time for me to do another batch...

-Barry

Yes, I had a great opportunity to volunteer at our Toledo Woodcraft at their turning event this past Saturday. We had great crowds and six lathes which were always going (I have some pics here: http://www.amazinglyrustic.com/?q=node/112). It a great program to show the troops how important they are to us, and I was glad to be able to contribute.

drayman

carl,having been a soldier on active service, your letter reminds me of my three tours in n, ireland, i am sitting here with a couple of tears in my eyes, cos it all brings back memories.i salute you, and the rest of the guys for doing such a grand gesture. being in the british army we never got anything like this, just the odd package from home, well done, i am sure when he reads your letter he will have a tear in his eye and therefore spur him on to a safe return, all the best colin.

smoky10

I have made 120 pens for the Freedom Pen Project and I think Gary Max has made about the same. A lot of turners here have made them. It is a good thing to do and is well appreciated.

gwilki

Jim Shaver, in Oakville, ON - a member of this group - set up the project in Canada. I think, in total, he has sent something over 300 pens to Canadian service personnel. There is no corporate sponsorship of any kind here, so we each buy our kits and blanks and send them to Jim. He has set up the process with National Defence to have them sent to the various countries where Canada has armed forces. I'm working on 10 cigars to send to Jim in the next couple of weeks. Jim is scheduling to send another batch over seas soon.

cdcarter

No reason there can't be, but fwiw, while I got the idea for the Freedom Pen Project, I did mine independently of that, because I wanted it to actually be to a specific soldier from his home town (and in this case, as it turned out, the father of a friend.)

It's all good. I salute all these guys who've donated so many pens and so much time to the project. The Freedom Pen site says they've now sent over 73,000 pens to the Middle East.

Originally posted by CrazyBear
<br />too bad theres nothing like this in the UK

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just FYI,

The Freedom Pens Project and Woodcraft are no longer affiliated. There was an issue supposedly where Woodcraft was unhappy with how long it was taking The Freedom Pens Project to ship the pens so they pulled their support and started their own Turn for Troops Project. Now the folks at The Freedom Pens Project are upset and many are boycotting Woodcraft. It is a real shame, really. Who cares who the pens are handled through, as long as they are getting made and shipped to the troops. I salute Woodcraft for starting their own rather than just pulling out all together.

cdcarter

Makes me feel better about just doing my own thing. Personal approach is more my style anyway.

After all, one doesn't have to have a formal organizational structure to do something nice.

Originally posted by MesquiteMan
<br />Just FYI,

The Freedom Pens Project and Woodcraft are no longer affiliated. There was an issue supposedly where Woodcraft was unhappy with how long it was taking The Freedom Pens Project to ship the pens so they pulled their support and started their own Turn for Troops Project. Now the folks at The Freedom Pens Project are upset and many are boycotting Woodcraft. It is a real shame, really. Who cares who the pens are handled through, as long as they are getting made and shipped to the troops. I salute Woodcraft for starting their own rather than just pulling out all together.

TerryMartin

Woodcraft have my vote, each year I have given them half a dozen pens to send to our courageous troops. We have a great Woodcraft Store here in Greenville, South Carolina. I was their yesterday and Paul asked if I had a business card for each pen as he knew that the troops liked to send a thank you note. He told me that Woodcraft had sent 60,000 of our donated pens over the past 4 years..way to go

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom