Pens And Quality

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dhallnc

I have made several slimline pens and I assume they pretty much all use the same type/quality refills and components. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What type of kit would be a step up in the quality of parts and how it writes? I have never given much thought to pens before I got into turning them, so I don't know a ball point from anything else.

I would like to make a few pens as gifts that are a little more than a glorified bic, but I don't know what that would be or why.

Thanks!
Darryl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I only buy the Rhodium or TN platings as they hold up better. I also change out the stock refills for the Private Reserve refills (available from exotic blanks and others). IMHO, the Private Reserve refills last MUCH longer that stock refills and write much smoother because of better ink and better quality ball.

As for better quality kits, I like the Tritons and the Jr. statesman. They sell well, too.

wiset1

You can try all the different sites out there and I'm sure they all pretty much carry the same kits...more or less. I will say however, that I've used the Majestic, The Majestic Jr., and the Broadwell kits from Penn State Ind and they really stand out. As noted above, the Rhodium finish is top shelf and you'll be pleased with the weight and balance of these designs depending on your budget.

terryf

Have a look at the Sierra - quite easy to make, looks very nice, lots of variation in the range and because the fitment isnt permanent, if you make a mistake you can throw away the tube and start again.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Chrome

Chrome platings are a little better wearing than Rhodium and in my opinion look just as good and cost a lot less...don't overlook them.

Top Bottom