pens plus vs shellawax

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MTViper

I just recently started using PP and I love it. I only use CA for laser cut pen blanks and a few other things that need a plastic finish. For everything else wood, PP is now my go to finish. Love it.

endacoz

I'm looking to by another bottle of PP.

I originally bought walnut oil, the past wax and the PP from the Dr.s own store. But since I only want to rebuy the PP it is cheaper to get it from my local woodcraft for 21.50 as apposed to the $18 plus $9 to ship the bottle to Minnesota.

I'm adding PP to my shopping list when I head to woodcraft later today.

I love PP for many items. EXCEPT. I have had poor durability when used on finger rings. I'm not sure if it is the constant touching / heat of the adjacent fingers that breaks down the finish or what.

Other than rings Pen's plus is the easiest and best next finish to a CA finish that I have used.

PapaTim

I've never used either but have been reading good things about the PP. I'll have to get a bottle next time I'm near a Woodcraft store.

Dan Masshardt

What pens plus and shellawax have in common is that they are both friction polishes. They both have shellac and wax in them. PP used a walnut oil and I don't recall offhand if shell has oil or what kind.

I think the difference comes in primarily in the chemical process used. The creator of pens plus has a method I think he calls micro agitation or something similar that allows the wax to stay in solution much better. Shellawax separates dramatically on the shelf. Pp still needs to be shaken well but doesn't seem to exibiy the same degree of separation to me. I've found it be to a substantially better product, although it has its strengths and weaknesses.

Dan Masshardt

Have you tried PP, instead of BLO, with CA?

As I mentioned on the phone, I'd be pretty uncomfortable with wax under ca in any context. I think it's likely a recipe for future problems with the ca. But you could try it.

Also I believe blo may have a characteristic in the curing of ca that other oils like walnut do not.

My opinion - not a good idea to try to mix ca and pp.

I have very successfully used pp as a polish over ca though.

KenV

Dan -- I have been using walnut oil with CA with no problems. Dutch Chemist (PhD kind) described the action between oils and ca as forming a polymer. CA is very reactive.

Walnut oil is has lower viscosity and applies easier -- and is less amber. Lower risk of fire from spontaneous combustion.

Try it -- you may find it works for you too.

Dan Masshardt

Dan -- I have been using walnut oil with CA with no problems. Dutch Chemist (PhD kind) described the action between oils and ca as forming a polymer. CA is very reactive. Walnut oil is has lower viscosity and applies easier -- and is less amber. Lower risk of fire from spontaneous combustion. Try it -- you may find it works for you too.

But you wouldn't use pens plus with the wax right?

Sabaharr

I have never tried PP, I am happy so far with CA, but open minded. My question is what advantage does PP have over a CA finish other than ease of application? Does it last and long and remain as shiny as CA while supplying an equal or greater level of protection?

epigolucky

Dan -- I have been using walnut oil with CA with no problems. Dutch Chemist (PhD kind) described the action between oils and ca as forming a polymer. CA is very reactive. Walnut oil is has lower viscosity and applies easier -- and is less amber. Lower risk of fire from spontaneous combustion. Try it -- you may find it works for you too.

I think that's what he's saying. I've used the straight walnut oil from Dr's instead of BLO and it works well with CA.

I stopped using walnut oil to sand and now I sand with PP (I think Dan posted it about trying it a while back. Works great!

crashgtr

Vince,
Do you use the PP as the final finish or are you saying you put CA over the PP?
I am still trying to find someone who can say if the PP finish lasts and looks as good as the CA. I am not a big fan of the CA fumes.

KenV

Dan, I am going to play with CA and Pens Plus - I went back and did some reading of Russ Fairfield's writings. Russ liked to sand with paste wax and was not concerned about it when it came time for finishing. Russ claimed that most of the wax was wiped off, and if of concern, a fast wipe with mineral spirits washed away the remainder.

I suspect that most of the wax wipes off in the application and most of what remains is a walnut oil and shellac mixture. I have used CA over shellac with good success.

Will head to WoodCraft next week and get a fresh bottle of PP and some fresh CA and play with some Narra wood. My guess is that one can put CA over PP without a peeling of the CA.

Dan Masshardt

Dan, I am going to play with CA and Pens Plus - I went back and did some reading of Russ Fairfield's writings. Russ liked to sand with paste wax and was not concerned about it when it came time for finishing. Russ claimed that most of the wax was wiped off, and if of concern, a fast wipe with mineral spirits washed away the remainder. I suspect that most of the wax wipes off in the application and most of what remains is a walnut oil and shellac mixture. I have used CA over shellac with good success. Will head to WoodCraft next week and get a fresh bottle of PP and some fresh CA and play with some Narra wood. My guess is that one can put CA over PP without a peeling of the CA.

I can't see any advantage to using pens plus with ca over an oil to make it worth taking the chance. Ca is pretty good at sticking to most things though. I think I once used ca over something with pens plus on it without much problem but again I don't see why you'd want to bother.

Dan Masshardt

I have never tried PP, I am happy so far with CA, but open minded. My question is what advantage does PP have over a CA finish other than ease of application? Does it last and long and remain as shiny as CA while supplying an equal or greater level of protection?

It is easy to apply.

For me, the lowest price points of pens don't call for ca.

Also, some people want the soft feel not the ca feel.

It's like the difference between an oil finish and a film finish in furniture. Poly has more durability then an oil but doesn't have a soft natural feel.

I like to have different tools in the Arsenal for different occasions.

Dan Masshardt

Vince, Do you use the PP as the final finish or are you saying you put CA over the PP? I am still trying to find someone who can say if the PP finish lasts and looks as good as the CA. I am not a big fan of the CA fumes.

Looks as good is a matter of opinion. Deep gloss or semi gloss / satin sheen?

Comparing an friction polish to ca is only so fruitful. They are different finishes with different looks and feels. "Better' is somewhat subjective.

Ca might last longer. Pens plus won't crack flake Etc.

Top Bottom