Pens for my first forum critiques

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wordsdeeds

I've been turning about 5 months and am starting to make some money at it. I'd be obliged if you folks would give my stuff the once-over and speak your minds.
The first is a pencil with malachite Trustone barrel and celluloid accents.
The next is a fountain pen with amboyna burl barrels.
Thanks for your candid input.

20066300581_Malachite%20Brochure%20Cover.jpg

200663005821_AmboynaFountain1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think they look great too! Love the accents on the first one.

I have a question for you. I tried to make some accents for a pen today that are exactly like yours above. Very thin black and white bands. I was making them out of Ebony and Holly. I couldn't cut anything as thin as yours though. I was using my miter saw (I have a 100 tooth carbide tipped blade that makes glassy smooth cuts). If I tried to make a cut as thin as yours the slices vaporized just as the saw blade finished the cut. I couldn't find any trace of them anywhere! Maybe the celluloid would make the difference. How do you do it?

Todd

johncrane

well done mate they both look good. great first time pictures. I my self would have put another pickguard ring at the top of the pen. just to balance it up.the pen still looks great. no offence to your good work. you asked us to speak our minds so thats just me.the bottom line is well done.

PenWorks

Welcome Ric, glad you are starting to make a few sheckles at this.
They both look real good. Lots of turners from IAP in MI.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I lke the accents. Looks great and so does the Burl. I was about to comment that it looks far better than most "first pens" and then I re-read. Still looks great!

Jerryconn

Super looking pens! I really like to first one. I guess I'm going to have try some of the Tru-stone yours and others here all look great!

Randy_

Originally posted by godfreytoddanderson
<br />.....Love the accents on the first one......How do you do it?

Todd: I don't know how Ric does his accents; but one way to accomplish the task is to buy very thin veneer from a woodworking supply company.

Ric: I almost hate to comment because the "pens" look very nice and photos can be so misleading. In both cases, the "wood" looks a little proud of the hardware. I'm guessing it is probably an optical illusion; but thought I would mention it.

By the way, for those that didn't look at his bio, Ric lists his occupation as "journalist." How cool is that..... a journalist making pens!!!

wordsdeeds

I really appreciate the comments and the welcoming attitude.
To reply to some of them, the accents are in fact pickguard material, which turns like a dream.
The Trustone on this pencil is not my first attempt, which came out "wavy," for lack of a better description. I only use a scraper for pens, having the usual willies about the skew, which I intend to master on scrap wood. (Any opinions on oval v. straight skews? I have oval.) For Trustone and all synthetics, I take VERY light passes once the blank is within 1/16 (smidge) of the bushings and use just the corners of the scraper, held at the farthest possible lateral angle right and left, to shear to final fit.
I didn't realize until I looked at the pix again that the barrels do look quite proud of the fittings. That's the fault of my photography and I'm working on fixing the lighting. The true fit is hidden in shaddows. I take great pride in precision fits and can tell you that both pieces fit very well.
Before posting the first time, I happily plowed through the forums and learned tons from you folks. I'm really pleased to be a part of this community and proudly include the IAP logo (legal version) on my materials.
To be able to exchange views, techniques and critiques with penturners all over the world is a real privilege and pleasure.
Thanks, all y'all.
Ric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom