Pens for Marines in Iraq

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tmhawk

Hello Penturners,
Disclosure: I'm new to this forum. I make pens and do some silversmithing. The most gratifying thing I do is make pens for Marines in Iraq. I send them through www.anymarine.com. I've adopted several units there. Today there are 24 requests for Pens, yep, they would be happy with a generic 79 cent pen, I send them the real thing. OK you may ask, why do they want a pen? OK, I'll tell you, so they can write home, mail is free, fill out a report, not everyone has a computer, do a crossword puzzle, or just sign their name. I can get all the wood I need, but I pay for pen kits. I'm down to 3. IF you have some pen kit left over, or a kit you don't want to make, me and them Marines would be happy to take it off your hands, I'll make them a pen and send it in your name. Just so you know, I will tell you where your pen kits went. (Yes, I'm a Marine, once a Marine, always, 65-69, Viet Nam 67-68, I'm just NOT on active duty at the moment, I expect they probably won't call me up, gon'a be 60 this summer, YOU never know tho, LOL). IF you don't want to send me some left over kit, that's OK, then turn a pen and send it to a Marine, Army, Navy, Air Force or Coast Guard, yep, go to www.anysoldier.com and adopt someone. I got a package when I was in Nam, it was so cool. They didn't ask to go to Iraq or Afganistan, they got ordered, they saluted, said, "Yes sir" packed there bag and went, we got to support them. OK, that's my pitch.
Thanks for reading,
Tony
Gilbert, AZ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

Tony, first of all, thank you for your service to our country. As I was travelling home from working in Wyoming today I decided that I wanted to make some pens for a few of the men and women in the military. And now I find your post - thank you!

alamocdc

Welcome, Tony. It's a great thing you're doing! Our youngest son is stationed at Camp LeJeune and I'm a graduate of the Data Systems Officer's School at Quantico.

Semper Fi!

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Thank you, my oldest son is also a not currently active Marine and served two tours in Iraq. I had been wanting to send them some and now I know how. I have some extra kits I can send you. I'll try to get them package this weekend to send to you. PM me your address.

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, Tony, that's a cool site! I like how personal it is, the Freedom Pens site seems a little...distant to me. Nice to read the notes from the soldiers over there. I'm looking for someone to send a pen or two to, along with some socks! My goodness, you'd think they'd at least be able to get socks and underwear. Sounds like they're hurting for a lot of personal items, too. I hate when I go a day without a shower, let alone not having deoderant, or toilet paper or toothpaste.

GaryMGg

Don'cha know it Karl -- we all hate it when you go a day without a shower. [}:)]:D

Seriously, Tony thanks for the great links. I'll be sending our men & women some much needed supplies.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Originally posted by rlharding

Just in case you haven't noticed, see the link to the US & Canadian Pens for service members link at the top of the home page.

I had seen that link and tried it. Could never get a response from them so am glad to have another means of getting pens to the troops.

rjwolfe3

Anyway to help the troops works no matter who does it. My brother is over there on his 3rd tour and my old National Guard unit is there currently doing a rotation. I know they would appreciate anything sent from home. Tony, when I get some new kits I'll order some extra for ya. Either that or I'll adopt some soldiers myself. Thanks for the info.
Rob

tmhawk

for a job well done.
Ruth, Rlharding: yes I saw the link and emailed them, they seem to have gone dormant, no new messages since 2004. I’ve been using www.anymarine.com now for over a year.
Karl, karlkuehn: yep, socks, underwear, beef jerky, I’d buy out an entire Wal-Mart store and send it if I could. Freedom Pens sent thousands of pens which is fantastic, I just think they’ve gone kinda quiet.
Gary, garymgq: Thank you, for sending them some stuff.
John T: jttheclockman: Fantastic, you will feel great when you send out one of those portraits. Way to go!
Rob: rjwolfe3: Your brother is in my prayers, 3rd tour is tough, thank you. If you’ve got the time please make a pen or two and adopt someone, they’ll be really happy to hear from you.
Thank you ALL OF YOU. You are the BEST!

Some of you may have seen the commercial for the Marines, it’s on you-tube now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76RoXotWG30
There are those who dedicate themselves to a sense of Honor, to a life of courage, And a commitment to something greater than themselves. They have always defend this nation and each other, they still do. The Few, The Proud, The MARINES.

The Marine Corps has just put the words together for ALL the warriors who go into battle.

tmhawk

(My previous post got cut off)
Steve: Thank you. Good on ya. You will feel great when you send those pens out.
Billy: Semper Fi, oooooraaaah! Your youngest son in now in my prayers, you and he and I are brothers. (. They have always defend this nation and each other, they still do.)
Dale: Your oldest son is in my prayers, two tours is tough. Thanks for sending to those who are still over there. And thank your son from a grateful country for a job well done.

Malainse

Thanx Tony..... Son is in the Air force. He is stateside so mine go to anyairmen.com . ;) Sent a bunch at Christmas. Received a few thank you emails. One was Two weeks ago...She said they have been a little busy thus the delay...

I was going to use freedom pen but, no updates since 2004 and they did not to respond to emails [?][B)]

BrentK

Hey Tony Semper Fi let me know what you need I got out in 85 no I didnt searve in a hostile enviroment but would love to make a difference I am sure I can spare some slim line kits that I have and if not enough I will order some more. Please email me so we can talk about it.
Thanks,

tmhawk

Update: Doug Adams (NMDoug) sent 25 pens and a big bunch of Slimline kits. Doug’s Pens got mailed to Air Force warriors in Afghanistan on Friday, April 11. His son is in the Air Force. Still making Slimlines from Doug’s kits, hehe. Brent Keever (BrentK) sent 6 pens and they were mailed to a Marine unit in Iraq on Friday also. Kevin Cordon (kcordon) sent a whole bunch of wood, a whole lot of kits, of which I turned 2 pens today and when I get about 12 I will send to Air Force as Kevin was in the Air Force. Several people emailed me and asked some questions about www.anysoldier.com (which includes Navy, Marines, Air Force, Army and Coast Guard.) So I know some of you sent pens. Stevej72 is Coast Guard and he sent some pens and stuff. THANK YOU! From the bottom of my heart. It makes these men and women very happy to know they are supported and cared for.
Thanks all of you,
Tony
Phoenix, AZ

itsme_timd

Very neat! Glad to see there are other sites that support the troops. I was familiar with Freedom Pens, I just sent 10 pens off, but not the others. I included a note with my Freedom Pens that points to a blog I wrote specifically for the soldiers that get the pens to see what went into making them and inviting them to come to my shop if they're in the area. http://lumberjocks.com/jocks/itsme_timd/blog/4132.

<center>
6741.jpg
</center>
<center>http://lumberjocks.com/projects/6741</center>

follow3

Hey Tony,

Thanks for that awesome link!!!

What type of kits do you preffer?
I am ordering frequently and would like to just place an order and have it shipped directly to you.

Shoot me an email with your prefferences as well as your mailing address. Are there any other supplies you need?

Thanks again,
Steve

Top Bottom