Pens have legs!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I made my first two pens a couple of days ago and dang if they didn't walk off before I could photograph them! :D

Although I have been doing woodworking of some sort as a kid in the '50s, I just started pen turning and I like it. Finally a project that I can start and finish in an hour or so - or spend several hours on!

I learned some things on the first three pens - I did not expect any miracle looking pen that would be worthy of photos, but I am surprised at the CA finish. Not what I was expecting but compared to urethane and oil based finishes that I am used to in woodworking projects, the CA was acceptable and surprising.

I would recommend to newbies to pen turnering get some of the predrilled blanks that come with kits from PSI and experiment with them. I have some great wood for making pens, but am saving them until I get some experience under my belt.

I did do one of the pens with tung oil and topped it off with urethane. It did what I was expecting and the pen was darker. By contrast, the CA was lighter and showed more of the natural color of the wood. I never have liked that in a finish on most wood projects, but with the pens, I really liked it.

The three pens that I have done so far were done rather quickly. First one took about 1 1/2 hour start to finish with CA and wax. (Not having to drill.) The second one took about an hour (Oil finish).

The third took about one hour to complete with CA finish, but I did something different. I turned it down to close to the size I wanted and then put the carriage and cross slide on the lathe and turned it to the precise size of the bushings. I tried that for fun but the carbide toolbits did not do as fine a job as my chisels. It was much rougher, but I did take my time and feed it slowly like I would if I were turning aluminum. My chisels are sharper than the carbides though.

I cannot find the MM sanding sheets here, but I do occasionally find 4000 grit sand paper. Recently I found some of those 1/4 inch thick spongy cloth pads that go up to 4000 grit. They do a great job in shining the CA finish.

While I did turn only straight slimline pen kits and will probably for the next few to get a better feel, I will soon venture out into other designs soon as well as different woods. I really want to experiment with finishes. I still like oil and wax finishes and the time put in letting the finishes cure naturally. I know that many of you already have vast experience with this (as I have read) and welcome input. My woodworking background just makes "instant" finish seem like I am leaving something out. My last big WW project took me over a week to put the finish on it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Walking pens! I know the feeling, Hank!

Glad to hear you have turned some pens. I too tried to finish my early pens the way I finish other woodwork. In time I learned and developed my own techniques. Takes a while.

You mentioned the carriage in your lathe, what kind of lathe is it?

Congratulations on your accomplishments!

jkirkb94

Hank, you might want to see about ordering some MM from one of our recommended sources if shipping isn't too cost prohibitive. It's great stuff. Woodcraft offers it in pads.http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5233 These work especially well when wet sanding acrylic resins. Kirk[8D]

M

Mudder

See that Hank,

And I warned ya to buddy.......If you are bit by the woodturning bug you may well forget that there are other tools in your shop unless they directly support the lathe. Soon a pen lathe will not suffice and you'll have to get a bigger one until you have a Nova, Jet, Delta, or Oneway lathe sitting in your shop.

Get the camera, track them suckers down and get some shots from the wild... Your first pens are very special and you should get pictures to remember them by.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Fred,

I have the little Taig lathe. I bought the metal setup and also bought the basic wood turning parts to go with it. It is a small lathe, but I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I am in Japan and don't like the lathes here (for the price), so I bought one at Christmas time while Stateside - that would fit in my suitcase without being overweight.

Ken, you are right, I want to get out there do some turning. My BT TSsaw and its Shark Guard are a little sad! Ken, are you on the BT3Central forum?

Kirk, thanks for that link. I will check it out and I will post some pictures of this stuff I use. I saw some MM on POC and put the extra fine set in my cart for my next order. I placed one order with POC (for TSW) and they have the most reasonable shipping rates to Japan that I have experienced with software, tools or whatever in the last 20 years.

Mudder, I am already thinking of my next lathe![:D] BTW, I know into whose pockets those pens walked! I will be getting a picture of them next week. One went with a friend to Tokyo as payment for some extra help he gave me, but he will be back next week. The other is locally in Nagoya area. So I will get to photograph it. Actually, I promised the two guys that if they gave me a few weeks, I would give them a more refined finished pen if they gave those back to me to "keep". So we do have a deal.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Hank, perhaps needless to say, I don't know about shipping, but you can buy micro mesh by the individual sheet for $4 a sheet here. http://www.internationalviolin.com Note that the individual sheets are 6" x 12". Lou taught me the trick of using a paper cutter (the guillotine looking thing lol) to cut the micro mesh into 1" strips Just go to their home page and do a search for micro mesh. Saranoya, y'all. (I am also an expert linguist!)

SoCalSteve

Hank,

If you can hold out 'til late June, I can bring you some MM. Of course, the closest I'll get to you is on a Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka. I will be in the Osaka/Kyoto/Nara area 25-27 of June. Let me know. If nothing else, I can drop some MM in the post to you.

Steve

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by SoCalSteve
<br />Hank,

If you can hold out 'til late June, I can bring you some MM. Of course, the closest I'll get to you is on a Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka. I will be in the Osaka/Kyoto/Nara area 25-27 of June. Let me know. If nothing else, I can drop some MM in the post to you.
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the offer. I will be getting some from POC in my next order. I found some 10,000 grit type of sand paper yesterday. Not quit MM in function but OK.

If you are here during June, stop by the World EXPO in Nagoya. A large part of the time, I will be working at the Habitat For Humanity booth there. The HFH booth is the only non profit organization that will be running the full 6 months.

This offer for visitors to the World's Expo goes for any world travelers. Drop in and visit. [:)]

Darley

Ken don't worries about pens walking about, it's happen to all of us, that is very kind to your friends to give you back your first pens, first pens are allway sentimental and help you to show you your progress in pen turning. If you want to change your lathe get the Mini JET ( VS or not VS ) you will not be desapointed.

Would like to turn some of your Japan Cherrie wood.

Serge

M

Mudder

Originally posted by kmassing
<br />
Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Fred,

Ken, are you on the BT3Central forum?
Yes, now you gotta guess who![}:)]

Duuh!

A quick look at your profile and I know who U iz!

Now you gotta guess who I iz [;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom