Pen's from Dawn's Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I while back I posted a thread raving about Dawn's blanks. Well here are a few pens I made over the last week since I got them.

The first picture is a few elegant beauties I think, a couple of ultra cigars and a segmented sedona. I learned something about scale and contrast making this pen. It's for a lady that owns a nail salon, but I'm gonna make her another. The white really doesn't contrast well with the pink and the white is too wide i think to be attractive. I dont remember the names of all the blanks, but the purple one is purple metallic. I don't know what the yellow is but it looks really sharp in person.

The other two pics are for a closed end (my first) Jr. Gent made from Dawn's Alt Briar. It turned very easily and finished up very nice. I just went to her site and bought some more of it.

I bought the closed end mandrels from az sil and it was very easy to do. So if you are thinking about doing a closed end - do it! It looks really sharp (may be my best pen yet) and it was fun to make.

Next stop - double closed end, if I can ever figure out how to handle the clip.

Attachments

• dawns blanks.jpg
    dawns blanks.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 249
  • alt biran for.jpg
    alt biran for.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 164
  • prone bria.jpg
    prone bria.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 159

alphageek

Former Moderator
All very nice... If you remake the pink... I'd give the person the choice of either (that or save it for another sale.) I think it looks good and I'm sure someone would love it.

its_virgil

Nice pens...you did a great job on them all. And, I must agree, Dawn's blanks are top shelf and so is the stuff Ed imports. Ed and Dawn both are top shelf excellent people with which to deal.

I especially like your closed end pen. They are really fun to do and make a stricking pen. Closed on both ends....go for it.

How to handle the clip: recess it or hide it. There are a couple of articles in the library on how to do that. One is by Bill Jackman and the other is by Mike Vickery. Also, Russ Fairfield has a video that covers hidden clips along with several advanced penturning tricks and tips.
http://woodturnerruss.com/Video-3-Pens.html#anchor_218
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I while back I posted a thread raving about Dawn's blanks. Well here are a few pens I made over the last week since I got them.

Next stop - double closed end, if I can ever figure out how to handle the clip.

Top Bottom