Which pens are the best selling? - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky1 View Post
I need to stay in the 7mm and 8mm or "O" sizes. Which pen kits are the best selling. I started out (newby) with the European twist. (not happy with the mechanism)

I want to sell to both ladies and gents. These would be wood pens not acrylic as I am not there yet.

Any ideas or complaints or reviews
Which ever ones you can't keep in stock
gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 3

I can respect your working your way up. But it takes the same skills to turn larger pens as it does small ones. And at least for me larger pens outsell small ones about 10 to 1. Especially for men. If your trying to keep costs of kits down as you master pen making then there are still low cost kits in lager tube sizes.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 19

If you can go 3/8, bolt action 30cal ballpoints are my best sellers....

good luck!

Rick

We also do in house Laser Engraving and professional hand engraving for metals & precious metals too.
RickLong is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #14 (permalink)

Photos: 6

Among the 7mm pens, I sell many: PSI Designers, PSI Concavas, and PSI Trim lines (but not as many Designer and Concava).

Peace,

Tony
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2015, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)

Photos: 2

I started out with the European pen and quickly moved to the Cigar which I find to be easier to make and a much better seller for the mens selection. Even easier than that is the Sierra which opens up the possibility of moving into circuit board and laser inlay blanks later if you want to move up in difficulty with a little experience. If you can turn a piece of wood on a 7mm tube you can turn one on a 10mm tube. Expand you style selection with one or two larger kits. Try it. Expand your horizons. You will only grow when you make yourself do it. If you wait until you are "ready" you may never break out of that comfort zone.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
IAP Activities Manager

Photos: 83

A quick question. Does the tranny feel like it works when there is no refill in the pen, or does it not work or is rough regardless? Check to make sure the refill tip can fit through the Nib hole smoothly. Sometimes the plating make the hole to small or blocks it off so the refill cant go through and jams the tranny.
http://www.silverpenparts.com
mredburn is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #17 (permalink)
Local Chapter Manager

Photos: 27

Another frequent problem: If the top has to rotate over the body, the body has to be small enough in diameter so as not to interfere. This was a mistake I made for a LONG time, before realizing the pen worked fine when the top was off---HHHmmmmm!!

Hope this helps,

Ed
Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I love these "blast from the past" threads. 2014 thread that a year later just continues on. They bring a smile to my face!!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #19 (permalink)

For me, PSI's Funline Designer pens have been the best-selling lower end pens. They look much better than the slim/trimlines in my opinion, and they seem to appeal equally to women and to men. The components and mechanisms are rock-solid, though the transmissions do benefit from a bit of lubrication.

Women buy about 75% of the pens I sell. In my experience, more than half of their purchases are for gifts, and more often than not those gifts are for men. I have been very surprised that what I consider to be my more masculine pens (bullet pens, wider pens, etc.) are bought mostly by women.

Here's the thing that intrigued me: while women buy most of my pens in all categories, they heavily favor pens made from acrylics and other resins to wood. Easily 75% of the pens that women buy from me are plastic, and the remainder are about half antler/horn/etc. and half wood. Men seem to shop the opposite way: 75% of the time they buy antler/etc. or wood, and only choose acrylics about 25% of the time.

I guess all of that is outside the scope of your original question, but it is hopefully useful information regardless.

Last edited by eranox; 08-27-2015 at 02:37 PM.
eranox is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendallqn View Post
I can respect your working your way up. But it takes the same skills to turn larger pens as it does small ones.
And they will sell for more.

Current set up:
a pair of Jet 1015VS
Jet 1221VS
MidAmericaPool Taig professional pool cue repair lathe....that somehow gets involved with pen blanks.
WriteON is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads