International Association of Penturners

International Association of Penturners (http://www.penturners.org/forum/)
-   Penturning (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/)
-   -   Which pens are the best selling? (http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/pens-best-selling-125241/)

Squeaky1 08-13-2014 10:22 PM

Which pens are the best selling?

I need to stay in the 7mm and 8mm or "O" sizes. Which pen kits are the best selling. I started out (newby) with the European twist. (not happy with the mechanism)

I want to sell to both ladies and gents. These would be wood pens not acrylic as I am not there yet.

Any ideas or complaints or reviews

Dan Masshardt 08-13-2014 10:35 PM

Why those sizes? Just personal taste or market?

plano_harry 08-13-2014 11:06 PM

Berea Tetra Stylus

OOPS 08-14-2014 12:19 AM

From my experience, the European is a pen that very rarely has a breakdown. If you had difficulty, have you considered changing suppliers? I have purchased mine from Woodcraft, and while I know that other dealers have their kits priced lower, Woodcraft has a couple of unique platings I really like. You might consider trying another vendor to see if your success rate improves.

Jim Burr 08-14-2014 03:19 AM

Third time in a month this has come up...There is no right answer!!!! Quality, market and location are the determining factors. What you sell a pen for may not be what someone else can sell it for. Put a tag on it...if it sells, great, if not, price it until it does!!

Woodkiller 08-14-2014 06:38 PM

If you could branch out to a 3/8" it would open up a lot of better choices. Hen you can move on to a 27/64 then 10mm.

Squeaky1 08-14-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt (Post 1694401)
Why those sizes? Just personal taste or market?

I do not want to take on too much and not do a good job. By completing this level and making money then I can take the next step.

Squeaky1 08-14-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OOPS (Post 1694421)
From my experience, the European is a pen that very rarely has a breakdown. If you had difficulty, have you considered changing suppliers? I have purchased mine from Woodcraft, and while I know that other dealers have their kits priced lower, Woodcraft has a couple of unique platings I really like. You might consider trying another vendor to see if your success rate improves.

It was a Rockler pen called summit and I can not get the mechanism to work.

Squeaky1 08-14-2014 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodkiller (Post 1694602)
If you could branch out to a 3/8" it would open up a lot of better choices. Hen you can move on to a 27/64 then 10mm.

Being a newby I am trying to get this level done. There are lot prettier pens at the next level.

Squeaky1 08-14-2014 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Burr (Post 1694430)
Third time in a month this has come up...There is no right answer!!!! Quality, market and location are the determining factors. What you sell a pen for may not be what someone else can sell it for. Put a tag on it...if it sells, great, if not, price it until it does!!

I am just building my catalog of completed work. I want to stay focus on what men like and what women like. When I get a better feel of the marketplace, I can worry about pricing. I have requests for pens and they asked me to pick out the best one for them.