Pens for Arthritic hands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

EasyGreasy

I am making a pen for someone who has arthritis in her hands. I am thinking a Statesman since its so huge. I have never done a jr. Statesman, is it that much smaller. Any designs suggested for someone with arthritis.

Thanks
EasyGreasy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I have some customers with arthritis and some with carpal tunnel. They seem to prefer the Statesman and the Gent. The jr is considerable smaller. The El Grande is only a little smaller and is quite a bit lighter.

fuzzydog

Jeff: The Atlas or its cousin the Polaris is a good choice. If the person still perfers the slimmer type, think about a Father Sing. Kits available from CSUSA. They have a slightly larger center diameter and my customers just grab for them.
David

ncseeker

I made a few Cigar pens for a lady that arthritis. She liked the larger size of the grip. She also liked the small bead I put at the tip.

Rudy Vey

You should check with the person you make the pen for. Statesman or Emperor and also Cigar style pens are pretty heavy. I would recommend a pen like the El Grande (and its Streamlined version) or the Ligero, copy of the El Grande, although I do not know if the weight is about the same. What I have found that people having problems with arthritis, like I have sometimes, prefer a thicker, but also a much lighter pen. Six years ago I was for three month in physical therapy for mentioned problem and one of the first thing the therapeut asked me what type of pen I was using (this was before my pen making career). At the time I was using pretty slim pens, like Cross, or a Montblanc roller ball (both were realatively heavy metal pens). So she gave me a Bic type pen and put a foam tube over the section area, and gave this to me. It felt kinda weird in the beginning, but after some time I had much less pain in my fingers, hand and arm.

When made my first pens, I made a few in the "scallion" style, mostly Euro style, and I had a good feeling using them. Later, when I started to sell pens, I had not too much luck selling them, and when I sold one of these, they were bought preferably by people that work in PT practices and got very often a compliment from them regarding the thicker section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom