PennStates attempt at TBC?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

TBC can also be done by using a cone live center in the tailstock and a dead center in the headstock. Use the regular bushings to turn the blank to slightly larger than the finish diameter, then remove the bushings and turn to the final diameter using calipers. This is the same as using the TBC mandrel. If your bushings are the right diameter, you don't even need to use the calipers, just turn to match the bushings. If you don't have a dead center, they cost less than $10 compared to the $30 for the mandrel.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
if you already have a regular mandrel, I would just use a mandrel saver. I see no advantage in this over turning one blank at a time with a mandrel saver.

cleve

I purchased one of these from William Wood-Write in Canada , and have used it several times in the last month . I know you can only turn one blank at a time but I like that, and I can turn very close to the bushings then sand the rest of the way down to the bushings. Works great. In Canada they are 40 bucks . I turn a lot of antler and works great for that . You'll never know if you like it if you don't try one .

Top Bottom