Pennstate rant

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brewmeister35

I had to finally make a Majestic Jr for a customer and have been wanting to make one since they came out. I ordered 2 kits and they both had some marks on the nib holders. I made and assembled the one pen. After looking at it under some better lighting, I found some bad plating on the nib holder. I looked closer and I can't believe the poor quality of plating on these 2 kits. Under 2x magnification, they look like they were rolled around on concrete and plated over. Don't think I'll be ordering any more of these at $45 a pop!

Then I tried a Gatsby click. This customer didn't like the loose sound of the sierra click so I figured I'd try this one since it was designed for only one type of refill. Huge mistake! The click mechanism is cheap and catchy. A bic feels like a classy pen compared! Glad they used the same size barrel as the sierra because I was able to convince my customer to let me put his barrel on a sierra twist.

I'm starting to understand why some don't like doing business with them. I've never had problems with the other kits I've bought from them til now.

Paul Downes

I would definatly be giving their custommer service a call. They need to have their nose rubbed in poor quality in order for them to desire to change their ways. On the other hand, could it be their quality control is ISO 9000 certified, meaning that they rely on their vendor to do the quality checks? It may just be a bad plating batch. I have gotten other kits from different vendors that had problems and they have always made good on them. ........Even so,I have noticed a higher rate of problems with their kits.

redfishsc

I have a Majestic Jr that has some SERIOUS plating issues, the same issues I've had with CSA's rhodium. It's the worst pitting I've ever seen-- I'll have to get a pic of it uploaded.

If you compare the nib holder to CSA's Jr Gent II fountain pen, they are identical. I'd wager that the same company either makes the Majestic and JR Gent II or the same company plates them. CSA has taken good care of me with refunds (a LOT of refunding!) and assured me that the problem is over, but I haven't bought much rhodium from them since I had this issue.

I almost always use chrome if it's available (such as the Baron/Sedona) b/c I've found it to be a LOT more durable than rhodium--- the chrome doesn't pit. It scratches easier, but no pits. I wish they offered these "higher end" kits in chrome or even all-black-ti. I never once had an issue with black ti or chrome.

Rifleman1776

You didn't say if you called them. That would be an automatic reaction with me. Customers have a right to expect merchandise free from flaws and defects. The company cannot correct the situation if they don't know about it.

Dave_M

I've only bought a few kits from PSI. I have a problem with their TI gold turning color almost every time. It loses it's luster and turns a bit dark. I've bought a few Tycoons recently and the black painted center rings start chipping the minute I assemble the pens. They've been good about replacing parts, but I'm tired of it.

Brewmeister35

I called them about the Majestics and threw one in my glove box that is being sent back to them. Haven't talked to them about the Gatsby clicks yet. I'll do that tomorrow.

Jarheaded

Funny thing, I am sitting here with their catalog in front of me and was about to order a couple of Majestic Jr. kits. You have just saved me the trouble of doing that. Thanks

M

monkeynutz

Got a PSI dust hood recently, and one of the threaded studs that is pressed into the magnetic mounting bracket is loose and unusable. I emailed customer service at PSI (it was after hours) and it took over a WEEK before I got a reply. They wanted documentation for the purchase e-mailed to them, and it has now been 5 days since I did that, with no acknowledgment. Guess I'll have to call on Monday and rattle some cages. I don't think I'll be sending them much more business, in light of this incident, and what I'm reading here in this thread. It looks like QC and CS are both lacking. :(

intillzah

I hate to sound this way, but just by looking at the Penn State stuff I don't get a really warm fuzzy feeling. I'm leaning towards other suppliers for my stuff when (and when) I get going....

redfishsc

I don't use their pens much, for obvious reasons (read above!) but folks, I gotta tell ya, I do like their tools. I have several of their gouges and the Barracuda chuck. I'm quite happy with them all, especially for the price.

1JaredSchmidt

I enjoy the people at Woodturningz but a PSI,I had to call them about a new motor for my lathe and the guy was terribly rude to me. When I sold it to my friend in Texas,it was getting really hot around the headstock and motor. I called them about it and the guy would not accept it. He was mean and uncooperative. I finally hung up on him.:(

Rifleman1776

I have had nothing but positive experiences with PSI. Two chucks a mini and a 'cuda 4. Great items at very competitive prices. Plus quite a few tools and accessories over the years. I did a pen turning demo a couple years ago and asked them for some promo material. They sent a bunch of their CDs, another bunch (about 3 dozen) pen kits, catalogs, discount coupons and a bus load of dancing girls. However, I am not fond of their pen kits and don't buy any from them but I do buy other small project kits.

OK, I made up the part about the dancing girls. ;)

LanceD

Originally posted by 1JaredSchmidt

I enjoy the people at Woodturningz but a PSI,I had to call them about a new motor for my lathe and the guy was terribly rude to me. When I sold it to my friend in Texas,it was getting really hot around the headstock and motor. I called them about it and the guy would not accept it. He was mean and uncooperative. I finally hung up on him.:(

And he's still your friend ? [}:)]

mikes pens

quote:
Originally posted by Brewmeister35
Dang Frank, and I threw down everything and started flipping through my catalog to find the girls
quote:
Originally posted by Redfishsc
Don't bother. They only come in 24K plating which wears off too quick.

200871424412_Goldfinger01.jpg

I don't know, the plating looks pretty good.

rjwolfe3

I've ordered quite a few kits from PSI with no problems at all. Can't say the same for their lathe but their customer service has been top notch everytime I have called them for anything.:D

Plane-O-Joe

Although I am new at pen turning, I am already NOT IMPRESSED with their CS/attitude when I called to check on my first order. Can't judge quality yet as I have nothing to compare against. What other companies would you recommend? I've looked at Rockler & Craft USA catalogs, but don't have any basis to go on. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. THANX![?]

mikes pens

Originally posted by Plane-O-Joe

Although I am new at pen turning, I am already NOT IMPRESSED with their CS/attitude when I called to check on my first order. Can't judge quality yet as I have nothing to compare against. What other companies would you recommend? I've looked at Rockler & Craft USA catalogs, but don't have any basis to go on. Your suggestions will be much appreciated. THANX![?]

Nothing but top notch experiences with Craft Supplies and Woodturningz

1JaredSchmidt

When I have to order from PSI I just call Woodturningz which is a reseller of PSI. It's a little cheaper too. (www.woodturningz.com) Phone # 1-(888)-736-5487 Fritz and Beth are two very nice people. I order from there quite a bit. Fritz comes on the forum every once and a while. I order from CSUSA quite a bit more though. Woodturningz shipping is fast though. It gets here in 2 days while CSUSA's gets here in 7 days.

tbroye

Jared

When you order from CSUSA pick USPS Prioity shipping faster and no more expensive in fact less. You will have it 2 or 3 days, same as Woodturningz or AS. Thats why I don't order from PSI if I can help it takes 7-10 days by UPS. Small stuff by USPS Priority Mail I have never had a problem with.

donwae

I have made several Gatsby click pens and pencils and have had no problems with the click mechanism whatsoever. PSI has always served me very well.

Rifleman1776

Jared, I don't know exactly what you experienced on the phone with PSI. But, I'll offer a guess and opinion of why you consider them rude. PSI is a company from out east. A lot of easterners come across as rude, even when trying to be nice. They talk fast and are always in a hurry. It seems to be a cultural thing to be impatient with those who do not think and act as fast as they do. You just have to gut it out sometimes and even tell them to slow down. And, yes, I believe it is, by most standards, 'rude' behavior even though others may not.

redfishsc

Originally posted by Russianwolf

Frank, I think you mean "NORTH Easterners" as us SOUTH Easterners are about as slow talking and laid back as you get. Too dang hot in the South East to rush.

Dern tootin!

By the way, here is my opinion of good customer service:

The BEST customer service on the planet is NOT worth a tick turd IF THE PRODUCT they sell is cheezy. I'm not saying that PSI only sells cheap stuff (because I buy their tooling and love it)--- EVERY pen kit mfr manufactures a few "losers" and I refuse to buy the ones with major "issues", I don't care what kind of service or guarantee they offer.

Some folks seem happy to buy a product with a known, repetitive problem/failure rate and then call and ask for a refund when one craps out-- -and then call that "good customer service". I prefer to not buy the product at all and use something more reliable instead. For my customers, THAT is good customer service.

Rifleman1776

Frank, I think you mean "NORTH Easterners" as us SOUTH Easterners are about as slow talking and laid back as you get. Too dang hot in the South East to rush.

I'd never deliberately offend anyone from any state defined as 'south'. I'm south also and those Penn. State folks sure don't fit my definition of 'south'. Nawth? Yep. :D

RDH79

PSI in my opinion has a very rude lady in customer service. Purchased the 99 blanks for $99 Would have thought that the they would be a little better evened out. I got 46 Kingwood 20 Rosewood 10 pink ivory 7 Ebony 13 tulip and 4 olivewood. Called customer service was told to read the add, it says ASSORTMENT. Should have sent them back but needed some blanks for the weekend. She also said the guy I needed to talk to was out to lunch. He still must be out to lunch because I have yet to hear from him. $1 apiece for blanks is not bad but 4 olivewood and they were not that nice.

loglugger

I have made and used and have people useing a lot of PSI 24k slimlines and have never had any of the platings wear through in over 4 years of use. I don't buy any of the other companys 24k products so have nothing to go on with theres.

Brewmeister35

Originally posted by loglugger

I have made and used and have people useing a lot of PSI 24k slimlines and have never had any of the platings wear through in over 4 years of use.

Wow! I've seen woodcraft's 24k wear completely off to a silver color in less than a month's time. I used a PSI Cigar Fountain pen as my everyday writer for almost a year and the plating started wearing off in about 3 months. I'm not complaining about it because I knew it was 24k to start with and just wanted to try the kit. It's just hard to imagine the same plating lasting so long!

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by loglugger

I have made and used and have people useing a lot of PSI 24k slimlines and have never had any of the platings wear through in over 4 years of use. I don't buy any of the other companys 24k products so have nothing to go on with theres.

Amazing. The 24K I have seen/used wears off if you look at it cross-eyed.

redfishsc

I have about half a dozen PSI 24K gold kits around the house, probably 3 years old now, that were the first pens I ever turned. Most all of them are worn much more than they oughta, and the few that look fine are the "ugly" (ie, oval, out of round, mismatched bushing) pens I keep around to remind myself of how far I've come. Since those frankensteins never get used, they don't wear. But the ones that do get used have what looks like rotted plating-- some are probably reaching the point of being spalted.

redfishsc

When I have to order from PSI I just call Woodturningz which is a reseller of PSI. It's a little cheaper too. (www.woodturningz.com) Phone # 1-(888)-736-5487 Fritz and Beth are two very nice people. I order from there quite a bit. Fritz comes on the forum every once and a while. I order from CSUSA quite a bit more though. Woodturningz shipping is fast though. It gets here in 2 days while CSUSA's gets here in 7 days.

A lot of that will determine where they are coming from. I know CSA is close to Salt Lake City, I can't remember where Woodturningz is from, seems like I want to say the upper midwest area. Woodturningz is definitely quicker for me.

Arizona Silhouette and CSA both take a while, but note that it's nothing to do with them---- BOTH companies (and Woodturningz as well) will usually pack and ship an order within 24 hours of placing it. I once placed an order with CSA and called back in a HOUR to add something, and the joker was already packed and on the UPS truck. Of course, took it 5-7 days to get here, but man, that's fast.

rjwolfe3

I guess I'm just lucky. I have been using the same 24kt plated PSI kit at work for the last 6 months with no wear at all. And I write a lot. I have gone through 4 refills so far. But like I said I guess I'm one man going against the flow.:D

pianomanpj

Oh, I beg to diffah. Us Mainah's are quite friendly and laid back. It's "Vacationland", doncha know. So come on up, and gimme a call. We'll go to the coast and get some lobstah and have a wicked good time![^]:D

redfishsc

Originally posted by pianomanpj

Oh, I beg to diffah. Us Mainah's are quite friendly and laid back. It's "Vacationland", doncha know. So come on up, and gimme a call. We'll go to the coast and get some lobstah and have a wicked good time![^]:D

Or how abouwchu come down hea n' we'll put ya onto a 50 pound flathead n'din we'll have us a mess of sum catfish stew.[:p]

Top Bottom