Penn State Turncrafter Commander

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rizaydog

That's a great lathe for the money. I don't own it, but a friend of mine does. I have turned on it and was impressed. It's got a decent swing and motor. The know that tightens the tool rest isn't the greatest, but that is no big deal. Do you have another lathe??

renowb

I own the one prior to this one, the one without the readout. I have been happy with it, but I believe if I would do it over again, I would go with the Delta, Rikon, or Jet . JMHO.

tjseagrove

I was looking at the 10" one but it was out if stock until late June. Went with a Jet 1014VSI and got from Amazon. Free 2 day shipping since I have Amazon Prime. Have had it since last Monday and happy with the purchase.

Tom

witz1976

I have the turncrafter Pro, the model before the commander, I found that the tailstock to be sloppy. It is a good starting lathe, however if you plan on doing this for a long term, I would go for the Jet or Delta.

MyKidsDad

I own it. It took a while and several phone calls to PSI but I'm pretty happy with it now. Right out of the box, the belt wouldn't stay on it. Messed around with aligning the pulleys and belt still wouldn't stay on it. The tailstock had way too much slop in it. No way I ever would've gotten the centers lined up other than just pure luck. The banjo would not lock down. No matter how I tried to adjust it, I could bump it and move it. Talked to the technician responsible for the lathe 5 or 6 times. Got the belt and tailstock taken care of on the first call. THere is still a bit more play in the tailstock than I think there should be but I can reliably get it lined up with the headstock. I suspect they had issues with the motors or the motor controllers on some of them. Every time I called he would start by asking if I had any problems with the motor or the variable speed controller. In fact, when he sent me a new belt and tailstock, I got a new motor controller, digital readout and some sort of small circuit board that goes with the motor controller at the same time...even after telling him I didn't need any of that. For whatever reason, it was like pulling teeth to get someone to send me the new banjo and that's why I had to call so many times. I finally decided to ask directly for the technician's supervisor and he is the one who got the banjo sent to me. I was less than pleased with the timeliness of their customer service but in the end, they did everything I needed them to do in order to get my lathe working the way I thought it should. Were I to do it over again, I would most likely spend the bit of extra money and go with the Delta or Jet though.

USAFVET98

I have it and am very happy with it. The VS knob really comes in handy as well as the digital readout. I have much more control of my turnings and especially my finishes.

renowb

I agree with Eric. When I called and talked to the tech guy, he talked down to me like I did not know what I was talking about. I have had the controller replaced too. It started acting up, not wanting to turn on. Shoddy workmanship in my opinion. Will definitely go with something else next time.

I own it. It took a while and several phone calls to PSI but I'm pretty happy with it now. Right out of the box, the belt wouldn't stay on it. Messed around with aligning the pulleys and belt still wouldn't stay on it. The tailstock had way too much slop in it. No way I ever would've gotten the centers lined up other than just pure luck. The banjo would not lock down. No matter how I tried to adjust it, I could bump it and move it. Talked to the technician responsible for the lathe 5 or 6 times. Got the belt and tailstock taken care of on the first call. THere is still a bit more play in the tailstock than I think there should be but I can reliably get it lined up with the headstock. I suspect they had issues with the motors or the motor controllers on some of them. Every time I called he would start by asking if I had any problems with the motor or the variable speed controller. In fact, when he sent me a new belt and tailstock, I got a new motor controller, digital readout and some sort of small circuit board that goes with the motor controller at the same time...even after telling him I didn't need any of that. For whatever reason, it was like pulling teeth to get someone to send me the new banjo and that's why I had to call so many times. I finally decided to ask directly for the technician's supervisor and he is the one who got the banjo sent to me. I was less than pleased with the timeliness of their customer service but in the end, they did everything I needed them to do in order to get my lathe working the way I thought it should. Were I to do it over again, I would most likely spend the bit of extra money and go with the Delta or Jet though.

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I bought one and after several problems shipped it back and bought a 1220vs jet and verry happy with it.. I spent another 100 bucks on the jet and do not regret the extra money . turncrafter imho is not worth the money. I do admit that PSI has a great customer service dept. they did take it back no questions asked and refunded my money. I still do buisness with PSI.

Paladin

My choice...

I am thinking of ordering this one...
http://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

Does anyone here have experience with this particular model (the newest one) that they could share with me?

I am thinking of this lathe or maybe the Delta 45-460. Opinions?

TIA

I got the Delta 46-460. I tried calling PSI and even that was a challenge. Delta for me. Case closed.

clapiana

Ditto the new line of delta midis are real midis heavy solid and able to spin logs into pieces and turn pens with precision

I got the 450 not the vs 460 in that belts take 10 secs to change the extra $$$ saved I got a super nova chuck

I also came down to the same two as you and got the delta because it's a heavy chunk of refined iron which I have found true of all of their tools

keithlong

My first lathe was a turncrater pro, and I still have it. It has done everything that I have asked it to do. I bought a Delta 460 mini and it is a very nice lathe. I really like it alot. I love the variable speed. I still have the turncrafter pro and take it to meetings because it is smaller and lighter. Cant go wrong with the gelta though.

Top Bottom