Penn State Sand strips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

After using the standard 1" sanding combo set forever now, I thought I would give the new Penn State unit that has replaceable sections/grits a try. I never use the 150 and used most of the 400 and 600 much faster....so I thought this would be more economical in the long run. I know some one is going to say, why don't you try buying the strips from Klingspor? And I have, I just don't order from them very often and I thought this was more convenient.

Anyway...has anyone noticed that the Penn state paper is thicker and seems more aggressive than the paper in the older set? Is it just me? I love the idea of the tear off, individually replaceable set from Penn State, but just really don't like the paper....
Anybody else notice that? or am I nuts? ( I may regret asking that)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rolandranch

I love their old sandpaper and that is what I have used for years. I HATE their new sandpaper strips that come with the tear off container. I hope enough people complain about it for them to change it back. I bought the new system and a bunch of extra rolls but I don't even use them they are so bad. They clog really fast and they're too stiff and they just don't work as well as the old stuff.

eharri446

I have a package of the Abranet tear of strips. I was buying the Abranet assortment pack and cutting the sheets into 1 inch strips, but will go to the tear of rolls when I run out of the assortment strips.

I love abranet for prep sanding. Then depending of what I am turning I will either go to a finer grit of paper or wet sanding, then MM.

Brian G

I half suspect they are all made by the same manufacturer, just put in a different box.

For $2 more, I'd try the Turner's mesh just below the sanding strips.

Herb G

Has anyone tried the new peachtree sanding strips, they come in a tear off strip container?
https://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_rolls.htm

I understand Rockler has a similar set but at a higher price, and I don't tink they have replacement rolls.

If you want to save some serious money & live close to a plumbing supply house, you can get the rolls of abrasive mesh way cheaper than Peachtree or any other retailer sells them for.
I got a 150' roll for like $12 or so.

dogcatcher

There are 2 rules about sandpaper, one never buy sandpaper based on price, you should buy sandpaper based on quality. The rule is "Buy sandpaper like someone else is paying for it". Rule number two, "Use sandpaper like someone else is paying for it." When it is about worn out, discard it, you are wasting time when sanding with paper that has been used too much.

Some of the sandpaper makers have a poor quality control over the grit sizes. The same goes for the glue that holds the grit on the paper. The best sandpapers can be found at quality auto body paint supply houses. You can buy it by the sheet or box. Look out for sticker shock, it is not the stuff that is available at Home Depot.

I personally do not like any of the paper that comes on the 1 inch rolls from any of the places I have tried. Too stiff and loads up much too fast. I buy 3m or Gator brand and cut it into small squares. You get a lot out of a pack of sandpaper. The courset that I use is 220 and then only if my skew was a little dull or the wood is fragile and I'm sanding done to the bushings.

BeeAMaker

Ok, I'll bite....what a stripper?

Basically something to make strips of sandpaper with. Not sure if the other poster has a special tool or not, but here is mine. (did you think i was going to post something else ? :angel: )

strip.gif

Rockytime

Has anyone tried the new peachtree sanding strips, they come in a tear off strip container?
https://www.ptreeusa.com/abrasive_rolls.htm <SNIP>

Peachtree has a product seemingly like Abranet in a cardboard box with several rolls. Further down on the site there is a metal box with several rolls of cloth backed sanding strips. I would be interested if the metal box were available with mesh strips. Alas, It probably will not be.

Top Bottom