Penn State Industries Experience ???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tgraytn

Everytime I place an order with Penn State Industries it takes anywhere from 2-3 days for them to even process it before shipping :mad:. Therefore since I live in TN, if I place the order online on Saturday morning at 6 AM, I am extremely lucky if I receive it by the following Friday. As a matter of fact, it's usually the following Monday. However, their website plainly states (in the ordering section) that the order will be processed in 1 business day except for weekend orders which will ship on Monday.

The ONLY reason that I have ordered with them is to purchase the Gatsby Titanium, Platinum and Rhodium kits (very similar to the Sienna kits). They are the cheapest place that I have found. I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this problem or is it just me....

Also, any suggestions on another supplier that I can use and pay about the same ($8.95 for Titanium, $9.45 for Platinum & $10.45 for Rhodium) but will process and ship sooner? Thanks!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

I mean this to be humorous, but it is a good saying, i got from Lou:

A product can have quality, price and speed.
Pick any two.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Tom,

I mean this to be humorous, but it is a good saying, i got from Lou:

A product can have quality, price and speed.
Pick any two.

LOL!

Yes, thats why they use the brown truck for shipping. That way you don't have to "pick two."

omb76

I have noticed that Penn State is taking much longer than usual to ship my last couple of orders. However this may be just for web orders which they may make a lower priority?? I phoned an order in this morning and talked to a really nice lady and explained that I needed this shipment on Friday and she made sure it shipped today (I have already received the UPS tracking info). I think that if you have a rush order that you should always call it in instead of relying on the web. Just my 2 cents.

As for alternative sources for the Gatsby / Sienna, I highly recommend either Bear Tooth Woods or Arizona Silhouette. Both have great prices and awesome service!

rjwolfe3

Shipping for me is slow but they always send USPS so I don't know. The company owner is a member and he posted in other thread that anyone can contact him personally if there are any issues.

On the other hand, you could buy almost anything PSI from Wood -N- Whimsies most time at a cheaper price with USPS shipping.

corian king

Hello tom I have also had several problems with penn state on my last couple orders.I placed web orders and then had to call 3 to 4 days later only to be told that they were just getting to it.its a real shame because they use to be very dependable.

tgraytn

Shipping for me is slow but they always send USPS so I don't know. The company owner is a member and he posted in other thread that anyone can contact him personally if there are any issues.

On the other hand, you could buy almost anything PSI from Wood -N- Whimsies most time at a cheaper price with USPS shipping.

Thanks for the info. Do you happen to know his username on this forum?

areaman

I havent had any problems from PSI, but I'm sure with the holidays they are slowed. One thing I noticed and havent seen anyone talk about is the new test drive for pen kits and blanks. you will be able to virtually set up any blank vs kit that they sell. I think this will be great.

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I have the same issue with them. I live 2 hrs away by car placed an order with Craft Supply which is all the way across the country on the same day and guess what? You got it I got that order 3 days before PS. You could order from Packard which sells PS pen kits for a few cents more I get that in about 2 days. You figure it out because I can't. I told the woman last week when I placed an order and she asked me what I think they should do hire more people? I said there's an idea. I tried to tell her to read between the line but she had no clue.The only kit I will buy from them is the Majestic Jr. only because I have a few customers that like that kit.

tgraytn

Thanks to all for the replies! As a business owner myself, we always ship our supplies the same day (if the order is received prior to 2 pm cst) even if I have to stay late and deliver the packages that evening to FedEx myself... No Exceptions. Typically, when someone orders something, they really want it right away. For those who don't need it A.S.A.P., they will appreicate it arriving on time or before. Especially in todays economic climate, it just makes good business sense.

I sure hope the owner of Penn State has the opportunity to read this.

rjwolfe3

One thing I noticed and havent seen anyone talk about is the new test drive for pen kits and blanks. you will be able to virtually set up any blank vs kit that they sell. I think this will be great.

Where does one find this info?

Lookee Ed and Cav, my 5000th post. I am getting as mouthy as you too!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
They are slow...

The last order I place on the web took a week before they shipped it. They lie about shipping in one day off the web. They will ship quickly if you call and tell them you need it fast. I have had same day shipping from them on items that I called in.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I ship everything USPS and they aren't slow I don't think PSI can blame them. I suspect that most Priority Mail now goes as fast or faster than UPS or FedEx. I have a lot of people comment on how fast they get their order...

tgraytn

Frank,

You have really been lucky my friend... Today is day #4 that my package has been in "processing".... Meaning that since Monday morning no one at Penn State Industries has cared enough about their customer to simply "pick the order" and ship it to them. Have a great week!

tgraytn

I noticed that Packard has the same Gatsby Pens that Penn State Industries has for the same price. I will definitely order from them next time. To sum it up, in the future I guess if Penn State Industries is the only place that has a product, then I don't need it.

dustmaker

I noticed that Packard has the same Gatsby Pens that Penn State Industries has for the same price. I will definitely order from them next time. To sum it up, in the future I guess if Penn State Industries is the only place that has a product, then I don't need it.

A fellow turner at my workplace informed me of Packard a couple days ago...they are only a couple hours away from me. Had I known, I would have probably ordered from them instead of PSI...live and learn. PSI charged my card only hours after confirming the order; it shipped on Friday and then the USPS took 5 days to deliver their 2-3 days Priority Mail. I suppose the holiday season comes into play as well. Now that I know the nature of the beast I can make better informed decisions in the future. Your experience is not unique, that's all I am saying.

jleiwig

Frank,

You have really been lucky my friend... Today is day #4 that my package has been in "processing".... Meaning that since Monday morning no one at Penn State Industries has cared enough about their customer to simply "pick the order" and ship it to them. Have a great week!

I as well have never had a problem with Penn State.

Have you contacted them about this issue before dragging their name through the mud here on a public forum?

It is the holiday shopping season and delays are to be expected while companies are experiencing high volumes of orders. It's not just a PSI thing.

I just called them and spoke with them getting some info on replacement parts and everyone was very courteous and helpful. I do have to wait until 9:30 to call back and talk to Joe who is in charge of their parts department, but that is only because he doesn't come to work until 9:30.

Again, I have had not one problem with PSI, and I would be contacting them before commenting on ordering problems in a public forum.

tgraytn

Justin,

I have contacted them about this problem. And by the way, it isn't the fault of the shipping carrier or anyone else... It is them for letting the packages sit in their own facility for days before even picking and preparing to ship. To answer your question, yes, as a business professional, I did indeed contact them twice about this issue. They gave me the same "non caring" response as they have given one of the other guys listed above.

I am not "dragging them through the mud". My initial post was to simply see if anyone else has had this same issue with them.

Thanks and have a great week!:)

Sberger

Amen! I live in Texas and if I call an order in, it will come USPS for normal order and take 7 days. Heavy orders come UPS. I have changed to Wood n' Whimles for just reorders. They are wonderful!!! A while back I got some bits from PSI and they were out of round, and I had to return them and they did replace them. Of course I ruined a few blanks to find out their product was defective. They probably sent out a lot of defective bits, since mine were from two different orders. Just the facts, but I still use PSI and consider them a good vendor.
Steve

RDH79

I go with Wood n' Whimles They sell PSI stuff and if they dont have it they can get it. I had acouple bad experiances with PSI. Ordered the 99 blanks for $99 Figured there would be a good variety. Was I wrong. 2 and 3 pieces of the better wood and the rest was the cheaper. Called customer service and was told that these were packaged by a differant company and they had nothing to do with the quanitys of each wood. And the lady wasnt very pleasent. I buy all I can from IAP venors now.

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
I brought this to the person on the phones attention and she gave me a ration of **** about it. The company I work for ships same day all the time not many exceptions. I told this person I placed an order seconds apart from Craft Supply and got it in half the time from the other side of the country. She told me they ship thousands of items a day my response was I'm sure that Craft Supply does also she told me they are a much larger Co. WHATS YOUR POINT so I don't think anyone is dragging anyone through the mud that doesn't deserve it.Thats all from this peanut gallery.

sbell111

I brought this to the person on the phones attention and she gave me a ration of **** about it. The company I work for ships same day all the time not many exceptions. I told this person I placed an order seconds apart from Craft Supply and got it in half the time from the other side of the country. She told me they ship thousands of items a day my response was I'm sure that Craft Supply does also she told me they are a much larger Co. WHATS YOUR POINT so I don't think anyone is dragging anyone through the mud that doesn't deserve it.Thats all from this peanut gallery.
You know, I might have also responded to that with "What's your point?". Seriously, it sound like you were hammering the poor girl working the phones a little hard. She didn't write the policies that govern shipping and she doesn't actually fill the box with your stuff. No good could possibly come from your unloading on her.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with PSI. That being said, I almost never wait to order something until I absolutely need it. Therefore, it doesn't bother me if I order a bunch of stuff off the internet and don't receive it for a week.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I would report this person to Ed.
Here is his email: ed@pennstateind.com

His name is Ed and his username is psilevy.

Hey Tom,
I haven't noticed any delays with PSI... I live in TN also and I'm thinking I usually get my orders pretty quickly... when you checkout, I think there is a place where you choose shipping method... I always choose the least expensive, usually USPS, but even UPS gets to my house pretty quickly... my UPS drive goes by my house at about 6:30 pm every day... my biggest complaint with UPS is the driver will screech to a stop in front of the house, throw it in reverse and back up my driveway, screech to a stop, jump out and drop the package then spin out as he leaves.... my drive way is gravel at about 15 or 20 degree incline at maybe 25 yards length.... and half my gravel is now in the street... periodically I have to shovel it back up the hill.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I as well have never had a problem with Penn State.

Have you contacted them about this issue before dragging their name through the mud here on a public forum?

It is the holiday shopping season and delays are to be expected while companies are experiencing high volumes of orders. It's not just a PSI thing.

I just called them and spoke with them getting some info on replacement parts and everyone was very courteous and helpful. I do have to wait until 9:30 to call back and talk to Joe who is in charge of their parts department, but that is only because he doesn't come to work until 9:30.

Again, I have had not one problem with PSI, and I would be contacting them before commenting on ordering problems in a public forum.

Well, I have noticed this problem as far back as October....and it has been both in their retail and wholesale end (I'm an authorized PSI reseller). When I called and asked about an order that they'd had about a week and hadn't shipped I was told that was "about normal for this time of year"....it was before Thanksgiving. My guess is they have cut back on either personnel or hours due to the economy.

jleiwig

Well if any of you have had any shipping experience, then you know with a larger corperation they don't ship out each package individually!

I used to work for Jeg's high peformance in Columbus. Our contract with UPS was for semi trailer loads. The packages would sit on our dock until the semi was full...and I mean not an ounce of space left full. Only then would UPS send a cabover to come pick up the trailer and take it to their sorting facility. We could not list the products in our system as shipped until they left our facility. Often times when someone called me on the tech support line I would go into the warehouse to double check and see if we actually had something on the racks because I knew even though it said we had 2 or 3 in the computer, they might be on the dock waiting for clearance to ship.

Chances are things are the same at PSI. The only problem may be that they aren't as large as CSUSA, so it takes them a bit longer to fill the semi trailer, and hence slows down the shipping charges.

That's just the way any corperation works that ships in large quanitities. I'm sure they could ship quicker, but it would cost you more as has been noted previously. The only way you can get away with the small shipping costs that PSI charges would be to have a value contract like I stated above.

Rcd567

I've ordered a bunch of stuff from PSI and am currently putting together another order from them. Yep, they seem slower than most on shipping...but I've usually got enough already going on that I don't need it right away. I'll continue to use them. Part of the shipping problem this time of year is the Christmas season.

Well same thing I live in NJ so it should get here fast. I placed a order 2 weeks ago still have not seen it and I really needed last weekend. I did get a call several days later after I placed the order saying I could only order 1 majistic starter kit, I had odered two I have 3 turners in the house and like to keep one kit for me. If this was a issue why did it take the order in the first place. Anyhow I called back 3 times got put on hold and hung up after about 5 min. I just simply gave up on them, I gueess they don't want my busness. I spent about 3k with them last year and the quality on the items are decent but the customer service is a joke.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
There is a old saying that could well apply here:

"Your failure to plan does not constitute an emergency to me."

It simply does not make sense to order items for a last minute rush order and expect them to instantly appear at your doorstep. Plan ahead with your ordering and keep a decent inventory on hand at your shop. If you sell your work, having an inventory is a necessity.

I have rarely if ever been treated poorly on the phone by customer service. Perhaps it is because I don't start out by berating the person on the other end of the phone. People need to remember that the person answering the phone has likely spent the day talking to a**holes who treat him/her worse than they would treat a pet. Should the person get testy with jerk customers? Of course not, but even customer service reps are human, and can get curt with rude people.

Practice the Golden Rule when you talk to strangers on the phone, and you are likely to get far better results.

Top Bottom